Airworthiness inspection questions

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Re: Airworthiness inspection questions

Postby Bryan Cotton » Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:18 am

Good news - the FAA responded to my web inquiry and will mail out a corrected certificate.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby Bryan Cotton » Sat Apr 23, 2022 12:59 pm

I've uploaded my W&B and also a photo of the airplane. So on the AWC website, it says my 8130-6 is unsigned. Is that ok? Is it electronically signed?

W&B that I uploaded is included below. If anybody wants the excel sheet I can share that as well. Then you can plug in your numbers and pdf it like I did.

So now I just need to do the program letter. Should I do the 40 hours or the task-based program letter? Not sure if there are opinions out there but I'd be interested to hear them.
Attachments
N191YX W&B 23 April 2022.pdf
(18.24 KiB) Downloaded 127 times
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Bryan Cotton

Postby Sonerai13 » Sun Apr 24, 2022 8:08 am

Brian,

Bryan Cotton wrote:I've uploaded my W&B and also a photo of the airplane. So on the AWC website, it says my 8130-6 is unsigned. Is that ok? Is it electronically signed?

Yes, there's always an "unsigned" copy of the -6 in the file in AWC. Not sure why, but it's always there. When you submit the application to the FAA after you've uploaded everything, you electronically sign the application.

Bryan Cotton wrote:So now I just need to do the program letter. Should I do the 40 hours or the task-based program letter? Not sure if there are opinions out there but I'd be interested to hear them.

Task-based fight testing isn't "official" yet, so just use the regular program letter like in the EAA kit. Your program letter doesn't actually request any particular flight test time anyway. That's assigned by the FAA inspector or DAR per the current guidance. The program letter really only requests the flight test area and lets the inspector know whether you want night, ifr, and/or aerobatics.

If you don't have the EAA kit and need a draft program letter, see the attachment.
Attachments
Program Letter-Blank.pdf
(9.92 KiB) Downloaded 106 times
Joe Norris
Sonex N208GD (S/N 450)
Sonerai II N13NN (S/N 1206)
Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
Sonerai13

Postby Bryan Cotton » Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:14 pm

Thanks Joe! I do have the EAA kit.

Is 25nm still customary for the operating limitations? Or should I ask for more? Anybody in my area (Northern Illinois) have any relevant experience to share?
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Bryan Cotton

Postby Rynoth » Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:40 pm

Bryan Cotton wrote:Thanks Joe! I do have the EAA kit.

Is 25nm still customary for the operating limitations? Or should I ask for more? Anybody in my area (Northern Illinois) have any relevant experience to share?

If I recall correctly, the center of the 25nm radius can be adjusted, doesn't have to necessarily be the airport the plane is based at. For instance, if you have some big Class B/C airspace say, 15nm to your east, your could center your area 10nm west of your home airport to give you more airspace to work within to the west.

Not sure about asking for a larger area.
Ryan Roth
N197RR - Waiex #197 (Turbo Aerovee Taildragger)
Knoxville, TN (Hangar at KRKW)
My project blog: http://www.rynoth.com/wordpress/waiex/
Time-lapse video of my build: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8QTd2HoyAM
Rynoth

Postby wlarson861 » Wed Apr 27, 2022 12:02 am

Contact Josh Bardell, he had an unusual test area due to the airspace around Chicago. If you need a test area different than a 25nm circle just write your proposed test area, The FAA will approve or not. When I tried to expand my test area going back to phase 1 due to engine change, they said they couldn't approve anything other than my first test area with out a lot of red tape. They said they would push it through if I wanted but warned could take weeks as it went up the chain.
Bill Larson
N861SX
Sonex, polished, tail wheel, Generation 4 Jabiru 3300
wlarson861

Postby GraemeSmith » Wed Apr 27, 2022 5:56 am

I had my test area moved from the builder's original in SC to RI where I now have the plane when I needed new OL's to go with a new N number. The inspector told me that most of the test areas are now templated in their system. They pick your airport and the system kicks out an "approved" area. Of note that my airport test area gets a fairly large area of farmland, water and islands with a few airports around the perimeter and one in the middle. My airport is on a western corner. Not the middle of the area. At my base airport - two of the runways are not approved for take offs as they climb out over urban areas. He mentioned that to ask for something different was unlikely to be approved as the templates are pretty well considered/worked out.
Graeme JW Smith
GraemeSmith

Postby Sonex1517 » Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:50 am

Bryan Cotton wrote:Thanks Joe! I do have the EAA kit.

Bryan

I did my test flights from ARR. I asked for and got an area that was Aurora to Rock Falls (KSQI) to Freeport to Poplar Grove to Aurora.

They approved it.
Robbie Culver
Sonex 1517
Aero Estates (T25)
First flight 10/10/2015
325+ hours
Jabiru 3300 Gen 4
Prince P Tip
Taildragger
N1517S
Sonex1517

Postby Onex107 » Wed Apr 27, 2022 2:05 pm

I'm in central Illinois but I asked inspector for two centers of flight, two different airports and the flight diameters overlapped. So I had a straight 50 mile shot in one direction. There was no discussion, not a problem.
OneX 107
N2107X
Onex107

Postby Sonerai13 » Wed Apr 27, 2022 3:41 pm

You can request whatever you want for a flight-test area, and as long as it's mostly over sparsely populated areas, you'll likely get it. Most of the test areas I issue are larger than 25 nm radius. Some are much larger. I've done all kinds of odd shapes too. If you have something in mind, draw it out on a sectional chart and let your inspector take a look. Don't have to be a circle, and your home airport doesn't have to be in the center. Talk it over with your inspector and see what you can work out.
Joe Norris
Sonex N208GD (S/N 450)
Sonerai II N13NN (S/N 1206)
Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
Sonerai13

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion