EAA vs SOS airventure beer tent

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Re: EAA vs SOS airventure beer tent

Postby frkatck@yahoo.com » Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:52 pm

I’d like to add a little to the SOS beer tent ordeal. I was in the food and beverage business for over 40 years. In my opinion this is not about money, Airventure is a big money machine and doesn’t need revenue such as this but more so an excuse. Looks like a David and Goliath case. Here ya got a big monster vs the little guy. Maybe David pushed a little harder than he should of without thinking it through and creating so much attention.
I have to ask this question.... maybe you should of kept it a little more decent and skip the bikini topped servers. After all Airventure is a pretty decent venue. I don’t see servers running around in bikini tops in any venue at Airventure. (Did I open a can of worms? I feel I’m being attacked already) Maybe this is what it’s all about.
I don’t think this would even be an issue if you served your outside food and beverage decently and not creating so much attention. Be bold and have your attorney negotiate this out. It might be David’s weapon against the Giant. And keep the VENTURE name out of it. You have lots of clientele around anyways
JUST SAYING!!

Frank
frkatck@yahoo.com

Postby WesRagle » Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:08 pm

Frank, I have a different opinion. And please, don't consider a differing opinion an attack.

frkatck@yahoo.com wrote:Airventure is a big money machine and doesn’t need revenue such as this

EAA is no longer an organization born of passion. EAA is a corporation. With a corporation it's either about money or revenge. If it's money, either EAA believes that bikini tops drive away attendance or EAA hopes to bring beer consumption under it's umbrella at $5 + a pop. It may well be revenge.

The lawsuit was filed as a patent suit. Bikini tops have nothing to do with patents. Bikini tops are not illegal. I think bikinis were thrown into the verbiage of the lawsuit to prejudice a perspective jury in a conservative district and/or to persuade a defense attorney to negotiate.

BTW, I'm still in search of "The Seventh Restated Bylaws of the Experimental Aircraft Association".

I tried the chat box on the EAA web site. It went like this.

[eaawebchat]
Thank you for contacting EAA! A representative will be with you shortly.
10:10:30 AM
[Drew] just entered
10:12:38 AM
[Drew]
Hello, how can I help?
10:12:50 AM
Wesley
Hi Drew,
10:13:35 AM
Oops! first time user
10:13:58 AM
What I would like is a copy of "The Seventh Restated Bylaws of the Experimental Aircraft Association" I would like to educate myself as to how the origination functions.
10:14:48 AM
[Drew]
For this question, please contact Dick Knapinski, director of communication here at EAA at 920-426-6523 or communications@eaa.org.
10:18:01 AM
Wesley
Thanks Drew. Have a good day!
10:18:25 AM
[Drew]
You're welcome.
10:18:41 AM
And you have a great day as well.
10:18:58 AM
Session complete
10:20:26 AM

I emailed "Dick Knapinski" (communications@eaa.org) with the same request. It's been three days now and no answer. I may have to call.

Wes
Wes Ragle
Onex #89
Conventional Gear
Long Tips
Hummel 2400 w/Zenith Carb
Prince P Tip 54x50
First Flight 06/23/2020
42.8 Hrs. as of 10/30/21
WesRagle

SEVENTH RESTATED BYLAWS OF EXPERIMENTAL AIRCRAFT ASSOCIATION

Postby WesRagle » Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:02 am

I got a reply from Dick Knapinski. For those interested, here are the EAA bylaws.

Wes
Attachments
EAA ByLaws - 2018-Seventh Restated ByLaws.pdf
(161.55 KiB) Downloaded 391 times
Wes Ragle
Onex #89
Conventional Gear
Long Tips
Prince P Tip 54x50
First Flight 06/23/2020
42.8 Hrs. as of 10/30/21
WesRagle

Postby GraemeSmith » Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:34 pm

Favors the officers and exonerates them from any mistakes they might make.

Meeting quorum is a surprisingly small 250.

You can be sure that the officers will have proxies in pocket to beat any 250 who vote against them.

If they don't like you (for any unspecified reasons) - they can throw you out.
Graeme JW Smith
GraemeSmith

Postby GordonTurner » Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:19 pm

For an org with “in excess of 200,000 active members”, a quorum of 250 does seem like a low bar...
Waiex 158 New York. N88YX registered.
3.0 Liter Corvair built, run, and installed.
Garmin panel, Shorai LiFePo batteries.
GordonTurner

Postby WaiexN143NM » Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:54 am

Hi all,
We’ve all figured this out a long time ago, its about money. it’s an elbow into the ribs of the SOS bros. trademark infringement using ‘venture’ in the name? a few girls in bikini tops serving beer distracting from the family image of eaa? So the strip clubs along hwy 41 welcoming eaa members for the week , is that damaging the eaa’s image?
lol......ludicrious.
The majority of the membership has spoken on the forums and wanted this dropped. it fell on deaf ears.
i think in the end , whatever happens, the eaa will be the loser. they will lose members, the attendance at airventure will be down, people will not volunteer during airventure, people will not buy beer on the grounds after 5pm.
Why should the FAA take $500K out of their budget to run the atc for a week for a ‘non profit’ to stock their bank account? . im all for the FAA to keep charging for their services past 2022. to try to staff atc with volunteers or contract
atc services is never going to happen. 4 approved usa atc contractors dont have the resources to do this, and anyone to volunteer would be an idiot without legal protection. as an faa employee you are protected legally. the airventure week has gotten so big and commercially driven that the good old days are gone.
I’m going to airventure 2020 because ive paid for my uwo dorm room and bought my airline tickets.
but there will be 3 truths during the week.
1) I wont be volunteering
2) i wont be drinking any beer on the eaa grounds
3) you can join me at the sos tent if they still are around, or at one of the fine bar/resturants that surround the airport.

The EAA has greatly tarnished their image with this stunt. They have become the neighborhood bully.
added: just google eaa vs SOS , many articles on the internet.
http://www.eaaforums.org
go to hangar talk and scroll down to eaa/sos.

WaiexN143NM
Michael
Retired FAA.
WaiexN143NM

Postby WesRagle » Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:40 am

Hi Guys,

All you guys making it to AirVenture don't forget to check up on the Sosnoski brothers. See if our illustrious leader managed to drive them out of business during the show.

Thanks,

Wes

P.S. Paul Dye for President, CEO, and Chairman of the Board :-)
Last edited by WesRagle on Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wes Ragle
Onex #89
Conventional Gear
Long Tips
Prince P Tip 54x50
First Flight 06/23/2020
42.8 Hrs. as of 10/30/21
WesRagle

Postby WaiexN143NM » Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:41 pm

Hi all, Wes,
thanks for blowing the dust off this post.
will swing by first thing to see if the SOS beerVenture tent will be up. Sunday jul 25 , and will post on here.
i sure hope so, and will be having a beer there everyday.
anyone else going ?

WaiexN143NM
Michael.
WaiexN143NM

Postby sonex1374 » Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:04 am

I'll be there Sunday, Monday and Tuesday, and will likely stop in for a drink or two each evening. It's the best spot to be after the show grounds empty out and the vendors close up.

We're going to have to figure out an easy way to link up with everyone while at the show. Maybe ppst to the facebook sonex group or something...

Jeff
Jeff Shultz
Sonex TD, 3300, AeroInjector
Kansas City, MO
http://www.sonex604.com
sonex1374

Postby Fastcapy » Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:45 am

SOS is going to be up and operating. They have a full lineup of bands and drink specials all ready to go!

I can drive through there after work and verify the tent is in the same place as prior years but I haven't heard anything about it being moved to a different location.
Mike Beck
Oshkosh, WI (KOSH)
Sonex #1145 N920MB
Std Gear, Modified Aerovee, Rotec TBI, Dual Stick, Acro Ailerons
MGL Panel
Airworthiness: 10/24/13, First Flight: 05/18/14
Fastcapy

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion