insurance catch

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Re: insurance catch

Postby GraemeSmith » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:35 am

The AOPA article mentions the need to "sell yourself" to the underwriters. When I bought my Sonex last July - I certainly had to do that. Despite a recent "loss" (cost of repairs exceeded hull insurance value - aircraft is now a project and will fly again) - the following all helped me:

- I take a flight review annually
- I stay phased in the FAA WINGS program
- I shared a copy of the NASA report for my loss with underwriters which included the analysis of what went wrong and how to avoid in future.
- Being candid about my tail endorsement being a while back - but helped by having prepared for and flown taildraggers intermittently since the endorsement. Tiger Moth time being the most useful.

Underwriters came back with a premium and a 10 / 10 requirement. 10 hours with CFI and 10 hours solo after CFI before passengers. 10/10 is pretty normal in any plane switch. I went back with the Sonex Transition Training Syllabus and offered to use that with a CFI, plus make the time another Flight Review at the same time. Insurers came back with 5/5. And that was fine by me.

I also had to state that the Sonex was essentially built to plans - which it is. They were very specific about anything that might have made a change from Sonex plans - specifically flight control surfaces/W&B/recommended engines.

--

I also then reflew the Phase 1 testing for my own education (not formally back in Phase 1) and didn't carry passengers till I had about 50 hours total time and felt proficient enough in the plane to be doing things automatically so I could deal with passenger distractions. Though during that 50 I did fly with one or two other qualified pilots for opinions and a "Second viewpoint".

I don't know enough about the Sonex accident history as such. But I would say the general EAA pitch for EXPERIMENTALS about keeping things standard, getting transition training and time and knocking off rust after a prolonged period not flying while building are all things that underwriters would like.
Graeme JW Smith
GraemeSmith

Postby builderflyer » Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:42 am

GraemeSmith wrote:The AOPA article mentions the need to "sell yourself" to the underwriters.

Selling yourself is an excellent idea and one that, I believe, was successful for me on my recent renewal with Avemco. I attached a separate letter that outlined all the positives as to why my liability rate should be as low as reasonably possible. This appeared to work in that I had sold my second airplane during the year and had been told that the multi-plane discount would be lost. But when the renewal quote on my Sonex came in, it was exactly the same as last year, no increase.

So the bottom line is to make a special effort to present yourself in the best light to be the lowest possible risk to the insurance underwriter. You may have to do those kinds of things Graeme mentioned in his last message, if you're not already doing them. But if that's what it takes to either acquire insurance or to keep a policy going at the lowest possible rate, it may very well be worth your time.

Art,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Sonex taildragger #95,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Jabiru 3300 #261
builderflyer

Postby Bryan Cotton » Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:43 am

I just saw in Sport Aviation that Kip is helping EAA sell their insurance. Ironically on page 111. Great picture!
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby N111YX » Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:37 pm

I just checked my mailbox and I don't have the magazine yet but a few years ago I saw a huge image of myself flying my Waiex in the EAA insurance booth at OSH.

Once you do an EAA photoshoot they have you for life I suppose:)

Bryan Cotton wrote:I just saw in Sport Aviation that Kip is helping EAA sell their insurance. Ironically on page 111. Great picture!
Kip

2010 Waiex 0082 (first flight May 2010)
Jabiru 3300 #1637 and #3035
Dynon D-180
Becker radios
Garmin GDL 82 ADS-B
1050 hours
48 states visited
Based near Atlanta

Also flying a...
2000 Kolb Firestar II, Rotax 503, 575 hours
N111YX

Postby Sonerai13 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:00 pm

N111YX wrote:I just checked my mailbox and I don't have the magazine yet but a few years ago I saw a huge image of myself flying my Waiex in the EAA insurance booth at OSH.

Check page 111 of the February 2020 edition of Sport Aviation!

N111YX wrote:Once you do an EAA photoshoot they have you for life I suppose:)

Yup!!
Joe Norris
Sonex N208GD (S/N 450)
Sonerai II N13NN (S/N 1206)
Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
Sonerai13

Postby GraemeSmith » Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:08 pm

Sonerai13 wrote:

Yup!!

Well not necessarily. Did they get you to sign a release? And if they did - was it specific about what media the picture of YOU and YOUR AIRCRAFT could be used in?

Not out to start a war - but what is good for the goose is good for the gander. If the EAA are going to go after folks for "Beer Venture" - then they should be holding themselves to the same standard in their media standards! The release should specify what payment (if any) you receive and what they can do with the image.

Nice pic! If you are good with it - what the heck! :)
Graeme JW Smith
GraemeSmith

Postby Sonerai13 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:34 pm

GraemeSmith wrote:
Sonerai13 wrote:

Yup!!

GraemeSmith wrote:Did they get you to sign a release?

We [EAA] always do. Even for people who are attending any of our on-site programs, like EAA Air Academy or Sport Pilot Academy. Anyone who is (or may be) recognizable in a photo that will be used by EAA will sign a release.

GraemeSmith wrote:And if they did - was it specific about what media the picture of YOU and YOUR AIRCRAFT could be used in?

Our releases are broad spectrum, and cover both publication and advertising.

GraemeSmith wrote:The release should specify what payment (if any) you receive and what they can do with the image.

Again, they are broad spectrum in nature. They will occasionally mention a specific N number if the aircraft is to be used specifically, but usually it's the person's likeness that we are getting the release for rather than the airplane. The release is not date-limited, and is "irrevocable and unrestricted".

So I stand by my previous answer. :)
Joe Norris
Sonex N208GD (S/N 450)
Sonerai II N13NN (S/N 1206)
Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
Sonerai13

Previous

Return to General Discussion