Just dreamin a new model sonex

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Re: Just dreamin a new model sonex

Postby rizzz » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:06 am

Sonerai13 wrote:Who said that the Sport Acro was discontinued??? Every builder has the option of building their Sonex/Waiex with the aerobatic aileron option. That's the only difference between the "Acro" version and the "Standard" version of the Sonex/Waiex. That option continues in the B Model kit. If you want to build the "Acro" version, you are perfectly welcomed to!

I'm assuming he was referring to the "Sport Acro" as shown here:
This one had a single single seat in the center of the aircraft with greater provision for wearing a parachute, a single seat belt and just 2 large rudder pedals instead of 4 smaller ones to accommodate for the center seating of the pilot.

Of course you are right the acro ailerons can still be built if the builder chooses to do so but I believe the center seat option for the Sonex/Waiex is indeed no longer supported? (which would make sense as they now have a Onex for those wanting an acro single seat airplane)
Michael
Sonex #145 from scratch (mostly)
Taildragger, 2.4L VW engine, AeroInjector, Prince 54x48 P-Tip
VH-MND, CofA issued 2nd of November 2015
First flight 7th of November 2015
Phase I Completed, 11th of February 2016
http://www.mykitlog.com/rizzz/
rizzz

Postby DCASonex » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:22 am

I was referring to that single seat model, and as was pointed out, the same ailerons could be applied on a standard Sonex so aside from a more reclined position and more room for a chute, there was little reason for a builder to opt for that model and lose the ability to take another person for a ride when wanting to do so. As I recall the purpose of that single seat Sonex when first introduced was to create an entry level aerobatic class, but that did not happen with the low sales. It might happen with an Onex with an engine with inverted oil system. The Onex may be a good aerobatic machine as is, but could it be made better if intended for that as its primary role ?

David A.
DCASonex

Postby Sonerai13 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:30 am

DCASonex wrote:....there was little reason for a builder to opt for that model and lose the ability to take another person for a ride when wanting to do so.

The B Model Sonex/Waiex has a single, center stick. This setup allows the airplane to be flown either as a two-seat aircraft, or as a single seat aircraft without modification. (The same can be said of the Legacy Sonex, which could be built with the single center stick and flown from either seat or when sitting in the middle.) Combine this with the aerobatic ailerons and you have the "Sport Acro" configuration of the Sonex. Plus, the B Model Waiex allows this same ability with the Y tail.

If that ain't the definition of a "convertible", I don't know what is!! :)
Joe Norris
Sonex N208GD (S/N 450)
Sonerai II N13NN (S/N 1206)
Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
Sonerai13

Postby fastj22 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:53 am

I've converted my Waiex to a center stick and fly center with my feet on the outer pedals when doing aerobatics. I fly left seat when doing cross country or carrying a passenger. The passenger seat filled with baggage, bag of Cheetos and my buddy tank.
Biggest challenge now is when flying center, I use the outside seat belts which doesn't hold you down very well. Any negative G's and you float up a bit. Trying to figure out if a third set of seat belts or crotch strap is in order and where one would attach them.

John Gillis
SEL Private, Comm Glider, Tow pilot (Pawnee Driver)
Waiex N116YX, Jabiru 3300, Tail dragger,
First flight, 3/16/2013. 403 hours and climbing.
Home: CO15. KOSH x 5
Flying a B-Model Conversion (Super Bee Baby!)
fastj22

Postby John Monnett » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:27 pm

"Of course you are right the acro ailerons can still be built if the builder chooses to do so but I believe the center seat option for the Sonex/Waiex is indeed no longer supported? (which would make sense as they now have a Onex for those wanting an acro single seat airplane)"
Not totally true! The Sport Acro, as Joe stated, is very much supported. The prototype had two seats, one of which was the standard two place seat and the other was a single center seat. The aircraft could be reconfigured for either seat. I set up the single seat for competition Acro and extra room for a back pack chute. We never had drawings for that seat and therefore the confusion as to what we supported. Simply, as with our new "B", the legacy Sport Acro continues to work as a great big single place or conventional two place. The Onex was not designed to replace it.
John Monnett

Postby DCASonex » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:13 am

John,

I know that very well. Mine is a single stick, and flies just fine flow either from left seat or center.

David A. Sonex TD #1327
DCASonex

Postby jforster » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:13 pm

Hey all! I've been away from the forums for a bit and was catching up on some threads and noticed I was mentioned. I did leave the company in the middle of November. I am currently pursuing some personal projects, including work on my Sonex, #1563. I'll still be around the forums intermittently. I wish Sonex and all of you builders the best!

Jessica Bower
J. Bower
Sonex #1563, Standard Gear, Engine TBD
Oshkosh, WI
jforster

Previous

Return to General Discussion