New guy with build questions

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Re: New guy with build questions

Postby DCASonex » Wed Jul 14, 2021 2:57 pm

GRT is definitely worth a look, I think you will find them very economical, and they have had very good customer support. Wiring of any sort is time consuming (hence the saying 80% done, 80% yet to do after the air frame is completed.) but I did not find the GRT installation at all complicated. Do not be put off by an EFIS that CAN show more than you think you will need. They can be setup to show only the screens (including split screens) you want, and at least with mine, toggle between them at push of a button. With an EFIS you can add (or delete) features later without need to revise the panel. GRT does offer an AOA display option. Their original attempt at that was a software update that synthesized the data without a separate sensor. Tried that did not like it, but I think their new ones have a dedicated input for that. Have fun at Oshkosh, Hope you plan to stay a couple of days, you will find a lot to look at and the more you see, the more questions you will be asking of the vendors.

David A.
DCASonex

Postby OtterlyFoolish » Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:41 pm

DCASonex wrote:GRT is definitely worth a look, I think you will find them very economical, and they have had very good customer support.

Thanks. I just got around to checking out their products. Looks promising but I will try and talk with more GRT users along the way before I make any decisions.
Student Pilot
Western MA - KGBR
#0024 Waiex B QB
Aerovee Turbo

My Sonex build on YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xug4ugK ... rningToFly
OtterlyFoolish

Postby pappas » Sat Jul 17, 2021 2:08 pm

I have gone all Dynon. This is the 3rd aircraft I built with Dynon gear. The earlier two had a mix of manufacturers but Dynon now has everything you could possibly need in a Sonex at reasonable prices with high-quality display graphics.

The Garmin graphics are slightly better than Dynons are, but not enough to justify the price difference and especially considering how Garmin rapes everyone on their software subscription prices. I have seen tons of out-of-date Garmin databases flying in all sorts of aircraft. This is simply due to the ridiculous prices that Garmin charges for the updates.

The Dynon database updates are way less expensive and I find it easy and cheap to keep up a current database. Radios, transponders, intercom, ADSB, GPS, everything is designed to talk to each other from day one. The autopilot is outstanding and the entire package has a much, much shorter learning curve than the Garmin stuff.

Don't get me wrong, I like the Garmin products. They are of high quality. However, I am not flying a pressurized jet at 30,000 feet burning tons of fuel in IMC. I am in a light fun airplane burning 5 gallons per hour.

Benefit per buck for high-quality equipment that is easy to learn and use....... My vote is Dynon.
Lou Pappas
Phoenix, AZ
RV-7A Flying (2024)
Waiex B Turbo (2016)
RV-8 (2009)
Waiex Legacy 3300 (2007)
Hiperlight SNS-9 (1991)
Falcon Ultralight (1989)
pappas

Postby OtterlyFoolish » Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:34 pm

pappas wrote:Benefit per buck for high-quality equipment that is easy to learn and use....... My vote is Dynon.

I will be sure to check them out as well at Oshkosh next week.
Student Pilot
Western MA - KGBR
#0024 Waiex B QB
Aerovee Turbo

My Sonex build on YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xug4ugK ... rningToFly
OtterlyFoolish

Postby AstroAussie » Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:15 am

lakespookie wrote:I am going Garmin and IFR capable although i dont plan on any hard IFR flight in the sonex due to engine choice and its stability, That being said Dynon and Garmin both have Backup instruments that basically have everything you need in an emergency if you lose the efis to put it on the ground safely + the sonex really is a VFR platform, as examples i am installing a G5, and dynon has a similar product in the D10 if you go with one of the other options a Blaze single can serve as a backup instrument with similar capabilities.

If you dont mind, do you think you can make a post about your ifr panel and the plans? I have a dream of doing this too but I have heard concerns due to the weight of it all. I also don't plan to do hard IFR stuff but living on the coast here in california and trying to get into an airport thats has low butts, better be safe than sorry.
AstroAussie

Postby taildragger » Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:21 am

My eXenos panel will be like a Tesla: One 12.9 iPad Pro for flight, nav, comm and ADSB.
See Falken Avionics at: https://store.falkenavionics.com

Electric motor display will be from Zero Motorcycle.
See: https://youtu.be/FoFyZne_UJc?t=90
Building electric Xenos
President, EAA Chapter 1250
taildragger

Postby lakespookie » Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:39 pm

AstroAussie wrote:
lakespookie wrote:I am going Garmin and IFR capable although i dont plan on any hard IFR flight in the sonex due to engine choice and its stability, That being said Dynon and Garmin both have Backup instruments that basically have everything you need in an emergency if you lose the efis to put it on the ground safely + the sonex really is a VFR platform, as examples i am installing a G5, and dynon has a similar product in the D10 if you go with one of the other options a Blaze single can serve as a backup instrument with similar capabilities.

If you dont mind, do you think you can make a post about your ifr panel and the plans? I have a dream of doing this too but I have heard concerns due to the weight of it all. I also don't plan to do hard IFR stuff but living on the coast here in california and trying to get into an airport thats has low butts, better be safe than sorry.

Yeah i am in so cal so the marine layer is always a concern

This is the basic layout i will probably mess around with it when i install it, but i am in a mode C vail so i have to live and die with ADSB so its not a huge jump to move from a adsb in/out transponder to an GNX375, end up getting the navigator for about 3k extra or so plus the arinc interface box. i would say its about a 5k total investment considering the extra cabling interfacing and add on boxes to connect everything oh and GPS antenna.

i have a post in the panel channel below and this particular build includes MGL nav coms, basically have a full suite of nav coms for the price of an SL or the more modern nav com, the reason for the two heads is to interface with the G3X. That being said you could avoid any nav radio the navigator is sufficent and the garmin com radios are the cheapest option and you can just remote mount them. I also have a hand held so not a huge concern if the panel died i could revert to that. but your milage may vary and you really have to think about ifr on this platform and what your personal mins would be i would never fly ifr in this platform to anything near mins but a 1000ft marine layer which is what we get around where i am at that is less than 2-500 feet thick is about the use case for me asside from that i do want the option to fly ifr on long trips but no intention to actually fly into weather.
Saturday's Building Live Stream
Jill's Build Log
PPL-ASEL
Tail = Complete
Wings Closed Out = 02/04/2024

Waiex-B 0054
Panel G3X
Engine Spyder 120 corvair conversion
lakespookie

Previous

Return to General Discussion