Cruise Speeds

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Re: Cruise Speeds

Postby builderflyer » Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:25 pm

Hi Kerry, thanks for posting your numbers. I've seen those before. You're taking us back to the good old days when none of us could match your performance numbers. We could only be envious. Eric Scheppers comes to mind.

Flight 1 confirms suspicions that you were not using an rpm of 2850 but rather over 3100 rpm and that you were running with a light load, both of which help your cruise numbers. Flight 2 is a bit more confusing in that if that flight were transposed to sea level, it would seem your particular Sonex would not meet the rules for a light sport aircraft.......it would appear to be too fast. But then it was a very cold day.

Anyway, I'll just continue to be filled with envy and have to accept the fact that I built a "dog".

Art,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Sonex taildragger #95,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Jabiru 3300 #261
builderflyer

Re: Cruise Speeds

Postby gammaxy » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:09 pm

Kerry, quick clarification, was the temperature 10F or 10C? When I do the math using 10F as written (which seems likely for January in Wisconsin), I calculate 180mph instead of 188mph TAS. Still fantastically fast.
Chris Madsen
Aerovee Sonex N256CM
Flying since September 2014
Build log: http://chrismadsen.org
gammaxy

Previous

Return to General Discussion