How long to remove/install wings?

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Re: How long to remove/install wings?

Postby mike.smith » Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:49 pm

mike.smith wrote:
Gunther wrote:Hello to all. How long does it normally take you (and a helper) to INSTALL your Sonex wings?

Thank you,
Gunther

I'll let you know after tomorrow!!

Mike Smith

It took about 10 minutes to get the wings in place and the temporary pins installed. There were 3 of us doing the work. I haven't installed the hardware since I'll be taking the wings off to do some more work before I go to the airport. I'm working on getting the controls adjusted and centered. I can see where getting upside down in the cockpit to attach the flap tubes is going to be a pain. At least I enlarged the wing rib holes so there is lots of room to get a hand in there.

Having temporary (tapered) pins go in first is much preferable to trying to get the actual hardware (flat-ended bolts) in place. With 4 tapered pins in place you can just pop out one at a time as you put in the actual AN bolts.

Mike Smith
Mike Smith
Sonex N439M
Scratch built, AeroVee, Dual stick, Tail dragger
http://www.mykitlog.com/mikesmith
mike.smith

Postby 30west » Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:54 am

Hello,

I am new to Sonex, and have searched the forums, I have found no answer to my question. I did find the documentation provided by Sonex on removal of and wing installation.

On a finished and flying aircraft, can anyone reinstall the wings legally or do you need to be the builder or A&P, is an airframe logbook entry required?

Thank you

-jim
30west

Postby Sonex1517 » Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:13 am

Hi Jim

Anyone can uninstall and reinstall the wings. I found the process to be more time consuming than 15 minutes. It took a couple of hours to get them off due to the location of the flap bolts and nuts, and an hour or so to reinstall them.

My opinion is no logbook entry is required.

The only thing a second or third, non builder owner cannot do is the condition inspection. An A&P is required to do that.

Hope this helps.
Robbie Culver
Sonex 1517
Aero Estates (T25)
First flight 10/10/2015
325+ hours
Jabiru 3300 Gen 4
Prince P Tip
Taildragger
N1517S
Sonex1517

Postby 30west » Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:30 am

Robbie,

Thank you very much. Answers everything.

Have a great weekend

Jim
30west

Postby Rynoth » Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:03 pm

I would argue that a logbook entry is required, just as if you performed an oil change or valve adjustment. But no A&P required as Robbie said.
Ryan Roth
N197RR - Waiex #197 (Turbo Aerovee Taildragger)
Knoxville, TN (Hangar at KRKW)
My project blog: http://www.rynoth.com/wordpress/waiex/
Time-lapse video of my build: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8QTd2HoyAM
Rynoth

Postby radfordc » Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:25 pm

Rynoth wrote:I would argue that a logbook entry is required, just as if you performed an oil change or valve adjustment. But no A&P required as Robbie said.

Is installing the wings "maintenance"? If you remove the cowl and then reinstall it does it require a log entry? What about inspection panels?
radfordc

Postby Rynoth » Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:04 pm

radfordc wrote:
Rynoth wrote:I would argue that a logbook entry is required, just as if you performed an oil change or valve adjustment. But no A&P required as Robbie said.

Is installing the wings "maintenance"? If you remove the cowl and then reinstall it does it require a log entry? What about inspection panels?

Good question actually. I'm honestly not sure.
Ryan Roth
N197RR - Waiex #197 (Turbo Aerovee Taildragger)
Knoxville, TN (Hangar at KRKW)
My project blog: http://www.rynoth.com/wordpress/waiex/
Time-lapse video of my build: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8QTd2HoyAM
Rynoth

Postby Bryan Cotton » Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:28 am

Wing install time lapse.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby NWade » Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:44 am

Us sailplane pilots rig and de-rig our aircraft (including pulling the wings and tail) just about every day we fly. Many sailplanes are type certified. None that I know of require a logbook entry to rig & fly. A safety inspection after rigging (with a second pair of eyes and hands) is strongly recommended, of course.

—Noel
NWade

Postby GraemeSmith » Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:35 am

radfordc wrote:

I'm not aware that the glider guys make a log entry every time they remove wigs for transport and then rig the glider to fly. However the FAA Glider Flying Handbook suggests there are some best practices relating to checklists tool counts etc:

https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policie ... h_ch06.pdf
Graeme JW Smith
GraemeSmith

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion