How much crosswind, how much fuel?

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Re: How much crosswind, how much fuel?

Postby MichaelFarley56 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:36 pm

hickej wrote:
I haven't seen any issues with landing in high cross winds but takeoffs with the Jabiru 3300 can get 'sporty'.
-Jim W0162

Thank you for the report Jim! Out of curiosity, what would you consider to me a personal max crosswind velocity for you to be comfortable on landing? Do you change your procedures any if you're looking at a strong crosswind?

Thank you sir! And thanks for the videos...they're great!
Mike Farley
Waiex #0056 - N569KM
Jabiru 3300A #1706
MGL Panel
MichaelFarley56

Postby Gunther » Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:31 pm

Wow! Thank you for the pictures of the beautiful tanks Hichej. I have seen similar tanks on a Grumman trainer and have followed earlier forum discussions on the Aeromax tanks. I hope you don't mind a few questions:
- Are they made from 6061-T6? What wall thickness?
- Do they hold about 5 US gal each and add about 15 lbs of empty weight?
- Have you flown with them yet? If so, how is the aileron response?
- Any recommendations for someone considering the same option? Would you do anything differently if installing again?

Thank you all for the excellent discussions.
Gunther
Tri-gear Sonex, Turbo AeroVee, dual controls, 70% complete
Gunther

Postby hickej » Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:24 am

As I recall the empty weight of the fuel tank and hardware was around 15lbs.
I would install them again but the company, Aeromax, does not have an active webpage any longer.
If I did it again I might put in two fuel pumps and a fuel pressure sensor. I have to time the transfer which takes half an hour for the 10 gallons.
I don't do aerobatics with any fuel in them but I do rolls, loops, and spins with them empty.
I haven't noticed any adverse handling effects with full tanks but I do stay coordinated so that fuel doesn't slosh out the vents.

Crosswind landing - I've landed with 15kts and had plenty of rudder left. My approach to cross wind landing has always been to cross control on short final with rudder for runway alignment and ailerons to correct for drift. If the wind is too strong you will run out of rudder and can decide to go around at that point.
hickej

Postby Gibbsfamily1 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:54 pm

I have landed a tri gear in a 24 knot crosswind. I would not want to do it on a regular basis.
Gibbsfamily1

Previous

Return to General Discussion