Glareshield Surface Treatment

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Re: Glareshield Surface Treatment

Postby karmarepair » Sat May 25, 2024 10:49 pm

In answer to the Original Poster, Fire Retardant duvetyne, a lightly brushed cotton canvas, looks like one of the lightest fabric alternatives. Available online, or at Hobby Lobby, Michaels or Joann Fabric.
karmarepair

Postby daleandee » Sun May 26, 2024 12:11 am

karmarepair wrote:In answer to the Original Poster, Fire Retardant duvetyne, a lightly brushed cotton canvas, looks like one of the lightest fabric alternatives. Available online, or at Hobby Lobby, Michaels or Joann Fabric.

In my little bit of research on the subject I believe you have hit the nail pretty squarely on the head. A lightweight fabric, preferaby cotton, is recomended for several reasons. The fibers of the fabric (whether cloth, canvas, or light carpet) will tend to capture the light and hinder reflections. The fabric will also help prevent the metal (aluminum) glareshield from collecting heat. Even flat black paint will tend to have some small sheen in it, collects & shows dust, and will eventually crack & peel from heat exposure.

For a number of years I had a vinyl covering (looked almost like leather but was much lighter) on my glareshield. Although it was flat black and looked amazing it still had reflections much more than I anticipated. See it in this video (at 0:21) as I turn into the sun:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VP7UYEqQ-g

My Autozone Aviation covering is much better ...

Dale
3.0 Corvair/Tailwheel
daleandee

Postby Skippydiesel » Sun May 26, 2024 7:38 am

Very nice finish on the glareshield.
Skippydiesel

Postby Jester504 » Sun May 26, 2024 7:48 pm

Black duvetyne, or just "duv," is what's used in film & TV to prevent reflections and/or hide stuff.
Jester504

Postby Skippydiesel » Sun May 26, 2024 11:30 pm

Jester504 wrote:Black duvetyne, or just "duv," is what's used in film & TV to prevent reflections and/or hide stuff.

Reads very well. Could be costly compared with lightweight fire resistant marine carpet.
Skippydiesel

Postby Tnhelm » Mon May 27, 2024 11:35 am

I used brown camoflage rattle can paint, like used on duck hunting boats. (Krylon) I think I also primed the panel for painting. Several light coats of the final finish. I had an aircraft mechanic ask if it was leather because of the look. My reason for brown instead of black is because of the radiant heat and dust collection issues. In fact, I dislike black for any panel, mine is light grey like modern jets. Also the glareshield color was more appeasing for my exterior color scheme. I haven’t noticed any reflection glare, which I am acutely aware of as well.
Tnhelm
OneX 0137
AeroVee, MGL Extreme and remote com, Garmin Trxpdr, Echo ADSB in/out.
Attachments
66-174A7909_Original.jpeg
Instrument panel color
IMG_0562.jpeg
Glareshield color and appearance
Tnhelm

Postby Skippydiesel » Mon May 27, 2024 7:15 pm

Wow!!! Thats one beautifully set out/engineered panel - well done!
Skippydiesel

Postby builderflyer » Tue May 28, 2024 12:14 pm

If you already have your glareshield covered in fabric and find it too reflective, consider painting it with flat black spray paint that is specifically sold to be used on fabric. Worked for me.

Art,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Sonex taildragger #95,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Jabiru 3300 #261
builderflyer

Previous

Return to General Discussion