Log Book Entry

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Re: Log Book Entry

Postby pfhoeycfi » Tue Jan 04, 2022 2:48 pm

I'm curious about the logbooks needed post build (not the build log). Are separate engine and airframe logbooks sufficient? Is a prop logbook recommended? Are the EAA logbooks any good?

peter
Peter Hoey
SEL Pvt, Comm Glider, CFIG, Pawnee & L19 Towpilot
Philadelphia Glider Council
Sonex B SNB0021, N561PH, Taildragger, Aerovee Turbo, MGL MX1, First flight Dec 18, 2022
Also built Sonerai IIL N86PH
pfhoeycfi

Re: Log Book Entry

Postby Sonerai13 » Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:26 pm

pfhoeycfi wrote:I'm curious about the logbooks needed post build (not the build log). Are separate engine and airframe logbooks sufficient? Is a prop logbook recommended? Are the EAA logbooks any good?

There are certain things that need to be recorded in "aircraft records". There is no specific definition of "aircraft records" anywhere in FAA documentation. It's really up to you how you want to keep track of maintenance history on your plane.

The most common way, of course, is logbooks for airframe, engine, and prop. However, that is not set in stone. I've seen all kinds of variations on the theme, including electronic records nowadays. You will be required to have someplace to make entries for condition inspections and other required items, but how you do it is up to you.

The EAA logbooks are fine, and in fact the airframe logbook is very handy because it has the initial condition inspection already printed in it, along with a space for the FAA inspector to put his/her entry approving the aircraft. Other than that, it's just a normal logbook.

So it's really up to you. If your aircraft is not yet certificated, you might want to ask your friendly DAR or FAA inspector what he or she would like to see and follow that recommendation. But the world is your oyster, so do what works best for you!
Joe Norris
Sonex N208GD (S/N 450)
Sonerai II N13NN (S/N 1206)
Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
Sonerai13

Previous

Return to General Discussion