Sonex vs. RV (yet again)

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Re: Sonex vs. RV (yet again)

Postby sonex892 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:54 pm

For the aux fuel part of this conversation. My behind the seat aux fuel tank design holds 32 litres (roughly 8 US gal). It sits in the void between the seat and baggage area and is held in with a piano hinge on each side. The plumbing / vent and fuel drain are permanent. The tank is easily removable and spends most of its time not in the aircraft. I only install it for cross countries.

It takes 8 minutes to install and 8 minutes to remove. When installed its like a permanent fixture.

Drawings should be on the yahoo forum sonextalk under the file sonex892
http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/sone ... onex%20892

aux tank fitted.jpg
aux tank
aux tank fitted.jpg (30.21 KiB) Viewed 2237 times

piano hinge for quick removal.jpg
attachment point
piano hinge for quick removal.jpg (150.24 KiB) Viewed 2237 times

Steve
Sonex 892 VH ZSX TD Jabiru 3300 bing carburetor
sonex892

Re: Sonex vs. RV (yet again)

Postby samiam » Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:16 pm

I'm in eastern PA.

I love the aux fuel tank idea. I always thought it wouldn't take much, just another 5 gal or so, to make some light xc that much more doable (especially with the Jab 3300 burning a little more fuel). Without it, it seems like you could only do 1.5-2 hour legs.

Thanks to everyone for the input and enthusiasm. I think that the Sonex will be the better fit for me. RV's are great, but the build is just so long. With all of the pre-punched stuff the kits come with these days, I feel like a 2-3 year build would be doable. And with the performance/fun factor and a price that's great.
Mike L
Sonex #1345
Tail complete
Working on wings
samiam

Previous

Return to General Discussion