Pattern Work

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Re: Pattern Work

Postby builderflyer » Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:00 pm

WesRagle wrote:HI Guys,

And what about takeoffs?

My instructor wants me to lift the tail just slightly and wait for the plane to fly off in the three point attitude. He flies off of a grass strip in a Champ (65 hp) so I think he might be a little biased toward soft field techniques. I would imagine this technique would be easiest on tires as well.

Opinions?

Thanks,

Wes

Wes........I'm with your instructor. For a ham-fisted, less than super-human pilot like myself, the less i have to think about changing the position of the controls at critical times the more likely the outcome will be successful. That means (1) tail low on takeoff and the airplane will let me know when it's ready to fly rather than me repositioning the controls and telling the airplane that it's ready to fly, and (2) forward slip on an approach to a crosswind landing and I'll mainly have to worry about pitch during the flare; and, not approaching in a crab where I'll have to worry not just about pitch, but also roll and yaw, all at the same time. Just my opinion.

Art,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Sonex taildragger #95,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Jabiru 3300 #261
builderflyer

Postby WesRagle » Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:51 am

Hi Art,

That sounds logical to me. I'm curious if you lift the tail slightly or set trim and just let it roll until it flies. I think I'll try trimming a bit forward and see if it will just fly away on it's own the next time I'm out. It does seem like a gust could pick the plane up prematurely.

Thanks,

Wes
Wes Ragle
Onex #89
Conventional Gear
Long Tips
Hummel 2400 w/Zenith Carb
Prince P Tip 54x50
First Flight 06/23/2020
42.8 Hrs. as of 10/30/21
WesRagle

Postby Sonerai13 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:34 am

I find that most pilots raise the tail way too high, and thus extend their takeoff roll unnecessarily. In just about any tailwheel airplane I fly, I raise the tail only enough to get the tailwheel out of the grass and then add stick pressure as needed to maintain that tail-low attitude until the airplane lifts off. Then I will let the plane accelerate to Vx or Vy as desired. With some planes you have to hold the plane in ground effect while accelerating, while others have sufficient performance to go to the desired climb speed right off the ground. In crosswinds I will start with the ailerons ALL THE WAY into the wind, to the stops, and then adjust as I feel the ailerons starting to take effect.
Joe Norris
Sonex N208GD (S/N 450)
Sonerai II N13NN (S/N 1206)
Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
Sonerai13

Postby John Monnett » Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:12 am

For Sonex I, I just advance the throttle, steer straight with neutral elevator or slight back pressure until Sonex levitates. No work, best acceleration, no struggling to raise the tail and letting the tailwheel do it's job with direct steering! That is why the Sonex tail draggers sit with the correct angle of attack to accomplish easy TO and landings. Overthinking the process just makes it harder...
John Monnett

Postby builderflyer » Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:52 pm

Wes..........what Joe and John said. You can't go wrong by following their advice.

Also, as a sidebar, each time I fly my Sonex I give praise to John for designing an airplane that is exhilarating to fly yet is docile in its handling. It must be a bit of a challenge to marry both of those characteristics in one airplane.

Enjoy your Onex,

Art,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Sonex taildragger #95,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Jabiru 3300 #261
builderflyer

Postby DCASonex » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:25 am

The hill top airport i fly from has a lot of strange and variable winds depending on just what angle the winds are from and how they are affected by the odd shape of the hill and its varying slopes. If letting the plane fly itself off, it may do so briefly, then drop back down until it gains more speed,add in variable cross winds, and I find it much better to raise the tail after having gained sufficient air speed for good rudder control, but then keep main gear solidly on the ground until at least 65 mph before lifting off. That is flying from a paved runway and I have the larger 5.00 x 5 tires, do not know how well the smaller ones stand up to that kind of speed on the ground, and may not be good practice on rougher turf.

David A.
DCASonex

Postby WesRagle » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:41 am

Hi Guys,

Looks like as many techniques as there are pilots :-) Weather is calling for a couple of calm wind flying days coming up. I'll experiment with the different techniques.

Thanks a lot for the tips.

Wes
Wes Ragle
Onex #89
Conventional Gear
Long Tips
Hummel 2400 w/Zenith Carb
Prince P Tip 54x50
First Flight 06/23/2020
42.8 Hrs. as of 10/30/21
WesRagle

Postby GraemeSmith » Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:13 am

The FAA SAfety Team must have been reading the blog.....

Discussed in their blog:

https://medium.com/faa/pattern-precision-cdf95fa76d8d

Checklist issued this week:

https://www.faa.gov/news/safety_briefin ... cision.pdf
Graeme JW Smith
GraemeSmith

Postby flyingbear » Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:19 pm

I agree with leaving the plane in a three point attitude or with the tail wheel barely off the ground. Then just let it fly off on its own. My Cassutt had a 100 mph 3 point lift off speed and this method worked well for it too.
glen Bradley
Dr. Glen Bradley
Pilot for Thatcher Aircraft Inc.
Owns a CX5, flies the CX7 and a ONEX (recently completed)
flyingbear

Postby 509sx » Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:43 am

Until today I had been struggling to make graceful takeoffs and landings, but think I've rounded the corner! I like 10 degs flap for takeoff, as it saves a lot of runway. The wing's angle of incidence when on the ground is way less than stall AoA. It will get off in ground effect first, and if you try to rotate then, you will just bang the tailwheel! Just keep neutral stick, steer with rudder and wait for it to accelerate and fly itself off, like John says. 10 degs flap also seems to improve speed control for the slippery little bird when flying the pattern. I try to keep it above 77mph for all pattern turns; that way if I keep the bank angle under 60 degrees, I have lots of stall margin and won't fall out of the sky. For landings I like 30 degs flap as it decelerates the airplane faster after you chop the power. This tends to damp out any bounces much better than with flaps at 20 degs. I try to picture dragging my britches on the runway so I won't bounce. These birds sit low to the ground!
Art
509sx

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion