Any ideas on Ways to jump start engine with cowl on?

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Re: Any ideas on Ways to jump start engine with cowl on?

Postby GraemeSmith » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:10 am

sonex892. wrote:I mounted an Anderson plug to the gear leg bracket its flush with the bottom of the cowl. Its mainly used as a charging port but I have used it as a jump starter on a couple of occasions. Sorry its not a great photo of the bracket itself, the bracket is made from left over 6061 angle

Charging - yes - I'm about to fit one of those in the side of the cowl so a solar panel will maintain the battery in the tie downs.

But a starting current over those thin wires?......

Look at the weight of cable you would fit to an External Receptacle like this one on Spruce - more like the gauge you use from the battery through contactor to the starter:

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/ ... errect.php
Graeme JW Smith
GraemeSmith

Re: Any ideas on Ways to jump start engine with cowl on?

Postby sonex892. » Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:28 pm

But a starting current over those thin wires?......

Yes those cables in the photo are smaller than the recommended battery to starter sizes. Disclaimer, I'm not recommending sizes for anyone here just saying what I used. But I think from memory I used 8 gauge (10mm2) to the Anderson plug. Main starter wire is 4 gauge (25mm2).
Unless the primary aircraft battery is totally cactus or dead flat or it wasn't starting due to a bad connection, the aux cable would not be carrying anywhere near the full starting current. Also in my opinion, if the battery was totally dead it would be a very stupid idea to attempt a jump start and go flying regardless.
Steve
Lazair kit 1981 sold
Sonerai 2LS plansbuilt 2003 sold
Sonex kit 2010
Sonerai 2LS project rotax 912
sonex892.

Previous

Return to General Discussion