Remote key fob Push-to-start?

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Re: Remote key fob Push-to-start?

Postby lutorm » Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:02 am

Rynoth wrote:I am curious about the key fob idea, but more for canopy latching. Larger aircraft don't even have keys in the cockpit, but do still have locking doors. If theft is the primary concern, having a canopy latch that can't be circumvented without compromising the canopy (and thus the ability for the aircraft to actually fly safely) should be as/more secure than any sort of ignition key system. I still haven't found a good way to lock my modified swing-back canopy, mostly because I don't want to have to drill additional holes for a canopy lock, and I'm curious how such a system might be used to be able to lock the canopy remotely.

I would be concerned for any ignition/starter keyfob system interfering with the abilty to reliably restart the engine in-flight.

Locking remotely will require always-on power to some fraction of the electrical system if you want to be able to get back in. Since airplanes have much smaller batteries than cars, I'd worry about how long you'd be able to power it before draining the battery. And IF the system fails somehow, you still need a way to override it manually, so the remote part just seems like it would be extra weight.
lutorm

Re: Remote key fob Push-to-start?

Postby dtibbo » Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:03 am

Rynoth wrote:I am curious about the key fob idea, but more for canopy latching. ... I don't want to have to drill additional holes for a canopy lock, and I'm curious how such a system might be used to be able to lock the canopy remotely.

Maybe Click-bond or something similar could be used in this application.... My end goal was I just don't want to deal with keys dangling in front of me; I'd like a clean panel.
David Tibbo
Former Marine EA-6B Navigator, Civilian Instrument pilot
Waiex-B delivered 14 Nov 2018
Airworthiness certificate 11 June 2020
dtibbo

Previous

Return to General Discussion