Sonex Insurance Agents and Costs

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Re: Sonex Insurance Agents and Costs

Postby WaiexN143NM » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:42 pm

Hi all,
Do you think they factor age in as well? All I know was when my father had a twin Comanche, when he turned 70 and the renewal was due that year , it went from about $1200 a year to $12,000 a year, he never had a claim. If they do, I'm guessing maybe the 40-50-60 yr old crowd would fare best. Past youth , but haven't hit the cobweb stage yet(forgetfulness) . The lady told my father that that's exactly what stats proved, and in that twin forgetting the gear meant a new belly, new engines, and new props. Ouch. $$$$$

WaiexN143NM
Michael
WaiexN143NM

Postby 984dm » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:20 pm

Hello fellow Sonex product builders:

Thought I'd throw this bit of information into the insurance discussion mix: while your project is under construction, you may want to make sure that it is covered by insurance wherever you are building it. In my case, at this point I'm working on the various parts in my basement and garage. I double-checked with my home-owner's insurance agent about coverage, and she said that "no", it would not be covered in the event of damage or loss due to fire, tornado, etc.

Perhaps this situation varies from company to company, or maybe state to state. If you're building in a hangar, then maybe that's included in your policy. Of course each situation is different, so you'll have to decide if this is a need for you or not. Just thought I'd bring it up.

I have "project insurance" through Global Aerospace which is carried by Arthur J. Gallagher Risk Management Services, Inc. in Chesterfield, MO. Contact person is: Jenny Brower (jenny_brower@ajg.com). I believe my policy provides coverage up to $40,000, and it costs me $250/year. This coverage will change of course once the plane is powered up and moving.

Dave Misner
Sonex N984DM (in progress)
Last edited by 984dm on Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dave M.
Bloomer, WI
Legacy Sonex N984DM (N number reserved, project is a work in progress)
Tri gear with center stick
Revmaster 2300
MGL XTreme EFIS/EMS, MGL V6, Sandia STX 165
984dm

Postby racaldwell » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:16 am

That is a better deal than mine. Last month I insured my Xenos project thru AOPA and they used Starr Insurance Agency. My cost is $410 for $35k hull not in motion.

Rick
Xenos 0057
racaldwell

Previous

Return to General Discussion