Oshkosh questions

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Oshkosh questions

Postby OtterlyFoolish » Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:11 pm

I have never been to anything like this so I have no idea what to expect. It looks like in order to get a hotel you need to pay out the arse or be willing to drive and hour or so in and out of the show. I would probably fly into Green Bay and rent a car for a few days? The camping sounds fun but for those prices I would rather be in a hotel and not drag camping gear on an airliner.

1. What are the best days to be there?
2. Is sleeping in the car allowed for a night or two?
3. Are there showers available?

How do you all deal with lodging? I know it is short notice so it is going to cost me more but I really want to check it out and see what I can learn there considering that I will hopefully be starting my build shortly after getting back.
Student Pilot
Western MA - KGBR
#0024 Waiex B QB
Aerovee Turbo

My Sonex build on YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xug4ugK ... rningToFly
OtterlyFoolish

Re: Oshkosh questions

Postby tx_swordguy » Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:21 pm

I find tues-fri the best days. Sat at the end seems to be more locals and just more people in general. Camping will cost the same whether in your car, tent, or under your plane. As far as lodging you have to understand 500-600,000 people come through the airport during that week and about 14000 planes. You cannot see it all in one day, probably not even two unless you are young and start early and dont stop until midnight each night. Showers are everywhere in the camping areas and most are very nice. I dont know what airshows you have been to, but this one will be 2-3 times bigger than anything you have seen before. At least pre covid it was this year may be different. This might put it in perspective. The main north south runway has planes 6-8 deep for over 2 miles. The east west runway has planes 10+deep for a mile or more. There are also areas not even mentioned with planes. It is amazing!! Something every pilot needs to see at least once in their life.
Mark Whiddon
T25 Aero Estates
Sonex N889AP
jabiru 3300 solid lifter
tx_swordguy

Postby WaiexN143NM » Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:32 am

hi guy,
if you are flying into green bay lots of hotels there still avbl, and without the premium prices. $67 and up per nite.
www.cheaptickets.com will get u started searching.

WaiexN143NM
Michael
WaiexN143NM

Postby XenosN42 » Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:23 am

OtterlyFoolish wrote:
How do you all deal with lodging? I know it is short notice so it is going to cost me more but I really want to check it out and see what I can learn there considering that I will hopefully be starting my build shortly after getting back.

Hi mystery student pilot,

Consider staying at nearby Ripon College, if there are still any rooms available. It's not too far and the rates are reasonable. I stayed there a while back when I visited Air Venture.

https://events.ripon.edu/eaa-airventure/
-- Michael
OneX N169XE
author of the 'Flight Data Viewer'
XenosN42

Postby Scott Todd » Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:37 am

Camping is $28 a night. There are little stores everywhere and the showers are definitely acceptable. I have flown in Commercial and rented a car several times. I usually bring camping gear but if you are staying three or more days, its almost worth it to go to Walmart or similar on your way in and buy a small tent and sleeping bag. Add a cheap foam cooler and you are all set. Its less than $100. With camping, you will spend less than $200 assuming three days, which is really the minimum you should plan. You won't find lodging any cheaper and you will be right there. When the show closes, get a nice shower, grab your rental car, and go to town for dinner :) When the torrential rain storm comes thru, get in your car, turn on the A/C, and take a nap. When you are ready to leave, give the tent to the folks next door and either toss the sleeping bag or bring it home. You won't have any regrets. And if the money really bothers you that much, pick another hobby.
Last edited by Scott Todd on Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scott Todd

Postby kmacht » Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:00 pm

Keep in mind that if you go the hotel route you have to pay $15 a day to park at the show. If you camp you can keep one car at your site for free. Factoring in parking savings it makes the cost per night to stay in Camp Schiller only $13 a night. You really don’t need anything beyond what you would already have for a hotel other than a tent and sleeping bag.
kmacht

Postby Scott Todd » Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:21 pm

As a side note, I usually stay 4-5 days or so and I usually buy a bicycle at Walmart. You can try to pick one up in the Swap meet but its hit and miss. I really enjoy the convenience of riding to the front gate as its a bit of a walk. I often head back to camp around lunch or when the airshow starts to get a snack, drop off goodies, and relax a bit. You can usually enjoy most of the airshow from there and enjoy your favorite cold beverage waiting in your foam cooler. Its also a nice ride over to the ultralight area. I usually pick one up for less than $100 so it works out to $20-25 dollars a day. I really enjoy it and think it ads to the overall experience.

When I get home and think about how much fun I had, I really don't care if it cost $300, $500 or $700. Its all about the experience and worth everything I spend.
Scott Todd

Postby OtterlyFoolish » Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:52 pm

When I looked at camping I saw the $28 but when I clicked the register link it was showing $300+ per night (https://www.etix.com/ticket/e/1011989/c ... re-oshkosh) If I am on the wrong page then please show me the correct page. My original thought was to grab a cheap tent and sleeping bag but if I can get an actual hotel within 30ish min drive for $150-200 then why would I pay $300+ to sleep on the ground?
Student Pilot
Western MA - KGBR
#0024 Waiex B QB
Aerovee Turbo

My Sonex build on YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xug4ugK ... rningToFly
OtterlyFoolish

Postby mike.smith » Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:33 pm

https://www.etix.com/ticket/e/1011989/c ... re-oshkosh

The way camping works, is you pay up front for the day you arrive, and for every day after until the end of the show. If you leave before the end of the show, you get a refund when you exit Camp Scholler and turn in your camping credentials. That's the only way they can make sure if you're in Scholler, that you've paid for that day. So it is definitely $28/night and they guarantee camping. The later you arrive, the harder it will be to find a camp site that isn't WAY far away from the main gate. Each camp sight includes space for your accommodations and your car. Your car gets a sticker in the window that lets you drive in and out of Scholler.

If you show up on the Sunday before the show you can still get on the grounds that day, before all the crowds, to get a first look around. Wednesday night and Saturday night have a night airshow, so you should be sure to include one of those days. Saturday is usually the crazy busy day, so the weekdays are a bit better in terms of getting around.

The best time to find interior accommodations is a year before the event, or as far out as the hotels will let you book.

Prepare to walk MILES! Bring a hat and sunscreen. Bring a container for water. You might need some baling wire to keep your jaw from dropping and you tongue from hanging out :-)
Mike Smith
Sonex N439M
Scratch built, AeroVee, Dual stick, Tail dragger
http://www.mykitlog.com/mikesmith
mike.smith

Postby GraemeSmith » Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:58 am

This popped up on my Facebook Memories today from 2015:

FB Post wrote:N27 - Towanda in PA. Last time I was here I was gliding in with no engine - so today was a welcome change. Other pilots headed for Oshkosh for AirVenture were also there.

"Other pilot" being one Mike Smith who gleefully overtook me a few miles later as we both headed west!

2015.jpg
Mike Smith at Towanda in 2015
Graeme JW Smith
GraemeSmith

Next

Return to General Discussion