Instruction in Experimental Aircraft

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Instruction in Experimental Aircraft

Postby pilotyoung » Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:15 pm

In FAA-2021-0592] the FAA has announced a new policy regard instruction in experimental aircraft. Basically it says for an instructor to be compensated for the instruction in an experimental aircraft (not the use of the aircraft) both the CFI and the owner must have a LODA. There is a new electronic process to obtain a LODA.

This is pure stupidity!

I think every owner of an experimental aircraft should immediately apply for a LODA using the new procedure. Every CFI who gives instruction in experimental aircraft needs to apply for a LODA also.

Since I am both an owner and a CFI, I am applying for two.

The FAA does not have the people or time to perform the important tasks much less to create this mountain of paperwork that will accomplish nothing.
pilotyoung

Re: Instruction in Experimental Aircraft

Postby pilotyoung » Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:52 pm

To follow up my last post I just submitted two e-mails to 9-AVS-AFG-LODA@faa.gov applying for LODA's. One was for an owner and the second one was as a CFI to give instruction in experimental aircraft.

I strongly encourage every owner of a Sonex aircraft to submit an application for a LODA this weekend.

My e-mails have not been returned.
pilotyoung

Postby GraemeSmith » Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:14 am

How to apply:

EAA Newsletter wrote:Under the new LODA system, applicants can send an email to 9-AVS-AFG-LODA@faa.gov with their name, address, email address, pilot certificate number, flight instructor number (if applying as a CFI), aircraft registration number (if applying as an owner), aircraft make and model, and aircraft home base (if applying as an owner). The request will then flow to the local FSDO, who will issue the LODA. Both instructors and those receiving training will require a LODA. For aircraft owned by flying clubs, ownership groups, and other shared ownership models, the entity owning the aircraft may hold the LODA rather than each individual member. Either the owner/operator of the aircraft or the instructor can have the LODA, as long as one person in the cockpit has one. LODAs issued under this system will not allow rental of the aircraft to the general public. Those LODAs, issued for transition training and other targeted operations, will continue to be issued per the guidance in FAA Order 8900.1.

Note the contradiction between:

"Both instructors and those receiving training will require a LODA"

and

"Either the owner/operator of the aircraft or the instructor can have the LODA, as long as one person in the cockpit has one".
Graeme JW Smith
GraemeSmith

Postby Sonex1517 » Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:31 am

I submitted my request last evening.

This is a terrible, horrible decision by the FAA and will decrease safety.
Robbie Culver
Sonex 1517
Aero Estates (T25)
First flight 10/10/2015
375+ hours
Jabiru 3300 Gen 4
Prince P Tip
Taildragger
N1517S
Sonex1517

Postby GraemeSmith » Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:46 am

Sonex1517 wrote:I submitted my request last evening.

This is a terrible, horrible decision by the FAA and will decrease safety.

I agree - though I think they are "hoist on their own petard" and after "winning" a court case against an operator who was "possibly" bending the rules to suit themselves - they then opened a can of worms that didn't need opening.

Talking to friendly and safety oriented inspectors at my local FSDO - they are somewhat horrified by the actions of the FSDO that took Warbirds to court without checking in with National..... They don't want this anymore than we do.

If you read the full text of the policy:

"https://www.eaa.org/~/media/1091C7E251904915BBF431FC3EB9B628.ashx"

the LODA's can be issued by email AND the FAA consider this interim pending a regulation rewrite.

--

Not that it makes it any better in the meantime.
Graeme JW Smith
GraemeSmith

Postby Jlogan1 » Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:06 am

I just applied also. lets see how this goes....
Jlogan1

Postby pilotyoung » Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:59 am

Graeme,

Note the contradiction between:

"Both instructors and those receiving training will require a LODA"

and

"Either the owner/operator of the aircraft or the instructor can have the LODA, as long as one person in the cockpit has one".

The quoted language is from Graeme's post.

I went back to the actual FAA Notice. I thought this was from the Notice but it is from the EAA comments on the Notice. I agree this entire thing is confusing but when I originally read the quoted language, I took it to apply to aircraft owned by flying clubs and not aircraft owned by individuals. Time will tell what the FAA really means.

This Notice has really created a mess that the experimental community will have to sort out.
pilotyoung

Postby Rynoth » Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:49 pm

Applied for my LODA. This doesn't seem like a big deal (other than the interim period of confusion) if the LODA is easy/quick enough to get, but time will tell on that.

Here is a link to the actual (officially not yet published) FAA document: https://public-inspection.federalregist ... -14765.pdf

Here is the format I used for the email application I sent, feel free to copy/paste and use it. Some fields may not apply, for example if you're not a flight instructor and just want to receive training in your aircraft or someone else's aircraft.

TO: 9-AVS-AFG-LODA@faa.gov

SUBJECT: Experimental Aircraft instruction LODA Application

I would like to apply for a LODA in order to provide transition/familiarity training in my Experimental Aircraft. (*change this wording to suit your needs*)

Name:
Address:
E-mail address:
Pilot Certificate Number:
Flight instructor certificate number:
Aircraft Registration Number:
Aircraft make/model in which you will receive or provide instruction:
Aircraft home base airport:
Ryan Roth
N197RR - Waiex #197 (Turbo Aerovee Taildragger)
Knoxville, TN (Hangar at KRKW)
My project blog: http://www.rynoth.com/wordpress/waiex/
Time-lapse video of my build: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8QTd2HoyAM
Rynoth

Postby Sonex1517 » Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:58 am

Just a quick note folks.

I received my LODA this morning from the FSDO. I don’t think it was even a week since submitting the request.

I don’t envy the FSDO’s right now.
Robbie Culver
Sonex 1517
Aero Estates (T25)
First flight 10/10/2015
375+ hours
Jabiru 3300 Gen 4
Prince P Tip
Taildragger
N1517S
Sonex1517

Postby Fastcapy » Wed Jul 14, 2021 2:04 pm

Holy crap Robbie. I can't believe it was that quick!
Mike Beck
Oshkosh, WI (KOSH)
Sonex #1145 N920MB
Std Gear, Modified Aerovee, Rotec TBI, Dual Stick, Acro Ailerons
MGL Panel
Airworthiness: 10/24/13, First Flight: 05/18/14
Fastcapy

Next

Return to General Discussion