Glareshield Surface Treatment

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Glareshield Surface Treatment

Postby Wanttobuild25 » Fri May 24, 2024 11:15 am

I’ll be wanting to refinish the glareshield on my second-hand Onex - the medium gray paint has cracked and peeled in several places.
Any consensus / thoughts / experience on refinishing, especially considering desire to minimize reflection in the windshield as well as minimizing heat production on sunny days?

Thanks!

Jeff Ackland
Wanttobuild25

Re: Glareshield Surface Treatment

Postby daleandee » Fri May 24, 2024 12:17 pm

Wanttobuild25 wrote:I’ll be wanting to refinish the glareshield on my second-hand Onex - the medium gray paint has cracked and peeled in several places.
Any consensus / thoughts / experience on refinishing, especially considering desire to minimize reflection in the windshield as well as minimizing heat production on sunny days?

Thanks!

Jeff Ackland

A few years ago I replaced my glareshield covering with some speaker carpet from Autozone Aviation supply. Used some 3-M spray glue to attach it. Light weight and works well. You can even hold things in place on the carpert using the "hook" side of velcro. See it here in this walk around video (4:00 mark):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hg0fgs4cFuE

Dale
3.0 Corvair/Tailwheel
daleandee

Postby Bryan Cotton » Fri May 24, 2024 12:42 pm

I was all about minimizing reflections. Flat black paint (maybe primer) for me.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby karmarepair » Fri May 24, 2024 4:13 pm

Mine has "wrinkle" black applied by a previous builder and I'm not a fan. Has more gloss than I'd like, and it cracks. I've seen cheap felt from Joann's used, and I like that idea better, or Dale's speaker fabric.
karmarepair

Postby Area 51% » Fri May 24, 2024 5:22 pm

Whatever you decide on, just make sure it's black. Anything lighter will show up as a reflection in the windscreen. We started with a really nice grey outdoor carpet. Couldn't see crap out the window.

Attachments
DSCF1894.JPG
Area 51%

Postby Murray Parr » Fri May 24, 2024 7:33 pm

I installed a super thin and light weight black felt. I had to be careful not to stretch it as this causes a few gaps to appear. I am happy with the result and haven't noticed any reflections.
Murray Parr
WXB0015
Rotax 912ULS
MGL Explorer Lite
First flight May 6/23
RV9 builder (Sold)
Murray Parr

Postby Bryan Cotton » Fri May 24, 2024 9:11 pm

I often have to wipe down my glareshield. It gets dusty. The fabric probably does too, but harder to notice. So I think that is one advantage of paint.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby Kai » Fri May 24, 2024 11:01 pm

The kit for Sonex A #0525 came with a suitable (matt)black fabric from Sonex to cover the glareshield. It has ben sitting there since 2005. Since then no hiccups, and the view through the window is good (as long as I don´t spill autofuel on it!). The only thing I regret concerning the instrument panel/glareshield construction, is my strict adherence to the plans. I should have devised some means (hinge, detachable cover- whatever) to get behind the instrument panel once finished. As it is, any form of rewiring, inspection, repair etc) is something for the younger generation with considerable more agility then I can muster. I vented my concern about this to Sonex at the time, but was informed that the design was structural and I better not mess with it. Now I´m stuck with it.
Kai

Postby Skippydiesel » Fri May 24, 2024 11:16 pm

I used black, lightweight, fire rated, UV resistant, fiberlock, marine carpet.
Cut to exact shape and stuck in place using some adhesive Velcro.
Easy to remove. No glare.
Metal surface matt black - just in case I forget the carpet:)
Skippydiesel

Postby karmarepair » Sat May 25, 2024 10:28 pm

Kai wrote: The only thing I regret concerning the instrument panel/glareshield construction, is my strict adherence to the plans. I should have devised some means (hinge, detachable cover- whatever) to get behind the instrument panel once finished. As it is, any form of rewiring, inspection, repair etc) is something for the younger generation with considerable more agility then I can muster. I vented my concern about this to Sonex at the time, but was informed that the design was structural and I better not mess with it. Now I´m stuck with it.

I will contend that a 4-40 machine screw in a minature nut plate is scructurally equal or better than a 1/8" Stainless rivet. From various web sources:
"4-40 X 1/2 Flat Head Cap Screw Alloy Steel Black Oxide USA: Has a minimum single shear strength of 950 lbs and a minimum tensile strength of 880 lbs"
"The shear strength of a 1/8 inch stainless steel rivet with a steel body can range from 420–550 lbs."
karmarepair

Next

Return to General Discussion