Flyboys Tailwheel

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Flyboys Tailwheel

Postby racaldwell » Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:29 am

If you bought the Flyboys Sonex specific tailwheel and your plane has a Y tail, then you have an issue.

I questioned them about why the pivot angle is forward instead of aft. Seems I am the 1st person that brought that to their attention. They said it was designed for a Onex and the regular tail Sonex has a steeper angle tailwheel spring. The angle is aft with that spring.

My ground handling is not the best in my Xenos. Brakes and tailwheel leave a lot to be desired. Now I know why. I am in the works of getting some parts from Flyboys and I'll weld them at the 10 deg aft angle that it needs.

I am also in the process of throwing away the Aeroconversion hydraulic brakes and buying Okeefe hydraulic brakes.

Rick Caldwell
Xenos 0057 26 hrs
Attachments
Tailwheel Flyboys Sm.jpg
Wrong angle on tailwheel
Tailwheel Flyboys Sm.jpg (162.27 KiB) Viewed 1987 times
racaldwell

Re: Flyboys Tailwheel

Postby BRS » Tue Feb 22, 2022 12:43 pm

Rick,

In your picture the tail wheel is ahead of your main gear wheel. I'm trying to imagine what the rest looks like ;-)

For wheels/brakes you might consider Matco. I like them very much on my Sonex-A.
-Brock
Sonex-A (s/n 1013)
R2300, P-tip 54/50
Center Stick
V16, TT22
BRS

Flyboys Tailwheel

Postby Carlos Trigo » Tue Feb 22, 2022 3:21 pm

racaldwell wrote:If you bought the Flyboys Sonex specific tailwheel and your plane has a Y tail, then you have an issue.

I questioned them about why the pivot angle is forward instead of aft. Seems I am the 1st person that brought that to their attention. They said it was designed for a Onex and the regular tail Sonex has a steeper angle tailwheel spring. The angle is aft with that spring.

My ground handling is not the best in my Xenos. Brakes and tailwheel leave a lot to be desired. Now I know why. I am in the works of getting some parts from Flyboys and I'll weld them at the 10 deg aft angle that it needs.

I am also in the process of throwing away the Aeroconversion hydraulic brakes and buying Okeefe hydraulic brakes.

Rick Caldwell
Xenos 0057 26 hrs

Hi Rick

I have the same combination (XENOS + Flyboy’s tailwheel), but still far from flying, thus waiting for your modification to follow you.

Thanks
Carlos

Enviado do meu iPhone usando o Tapatalk
Carlos Trigo

Postby sonex1374 » Wed Feb 23, 2022 10:55 am

BRS wrote:For wheels/brakes you might consider Matco. I like them very much on my Sonex-A.

Brock,

What model or part numbers are you using? Do they require any adapters for the sonex axles?

Jeff
Jeff Shultz
Sonex TD, 3300, AeroInjector
Kansas City, MO
http://www.sonex604.com
sonex1374

Postby ldmill » Fri Feb 25, 2022 7:13 pm

sonex1374 wrote:
BRS wrote:For wheels/brakes you might consider Matco. I like them very much on my Sonex-A.

Brock,

What model or part numbers are you using? Do they require any adapters for the sonex axles?

Jeff

Hey Jeff,
I also have the Matco wheels/brake and master cylinders I used for differential toe brakes. Matco has a Sonex conversion kit for the wheels that includes an aluminum adaptor. Here's the adaptor kit: http://www.matcomfg.com/ADAPTERKITSONEX ... 32-45.html

I really like this Matco setup, I've been using it since 2012 with no issues. I did weld on an extra bolt ring on the bottom of my Sonex axle assembly to help stabilize them to the adaptor. No brake fade or weakness.
Lorin Miller
Waiex N81YX
ldmill

Postby racaldwell » Sat Feb 26, 2022 10:29 pm

Blake at Flyboys said no parts are available and the weldments are outsourced. In other words, you have to fix your tailwheel on your own.

This is not a big project. Fortunately, I had bought a 2nd hand TIG welder a few months ago and trying to learn how to TIG weld. This seemed like (and was) an easier weld project than the RV-6 gusseted rudder pedals I made last month. Here are the steps and some pictures of how to do this. It is a major improvement in taxiing capability. I can now do a 180 turn on the taxiway.

Here are the dimensions to make the angle change. The bottom length of the socket needs to be cut back to 2-1/8".
Tailwheel Change Dimensions Sm.jpg
Original & new Dimensions
Tailwheel Change Dimensions Sm.jpg (127.76 KiB) Viewed 1712 times

After removing the tailwheel and taking it apart, the plastic bushings inside need to be pressed out with a 1" dia. rod and arbor press.

The socket is cut off the tube with a small cut off wheel. I used my Dremel with a 1-1/2" dia. thin cut off wheel that I bought from McM-Carr. A half round file after dremelling the socket to the new dimension get the socket to nest tight to the tube.
Tailwheel Cut Sm.jpg
Socket cut off from the tube
Tailwheel Cut Sm.jpg (224.37 KiB) Viewed 1712 times

The socket and tube is checked on the tail spring and the end of the titanium spring had to be filed some reuse the same taper pin hole.
Tailwheel Fit Check Sm.jpg
Fit Check
Tailwheel Fit Check Sm.jpg (110.48 KiB) Viewed 1712 times

The socket and tube are clamped on the spring and aligned with the fuselage. They are tacked in place to assure alignment.
Tailwheel Cut & Clamped Sm.jpg
Ready for tack welding
Tailwheel Cut & Clamped Sm.jpg (149.36 KiB) Viewed 1712 times

Once tacked together, the piece is welded. I still have a ways to go to get pretty welds but at least I feel comfortable they are sufficient to do the job.
Tailwheel Cut & Welded Sm.jpg
Welding complete
Tailwheel Cut & Welded Sm.jpg (222.76 KiB) Viewed 1712 times

Then epoxy primer and paint to finish it up.

The plastic bushings are re-installed with the arbor press. Before I did this, I wire brushed and sanded out the weld crud from inside the tube. All the parts are reassembled and the steering rod I had made years ago is adjusted longer to fit the new positioning.

Total job including painting took me about 12 hrs. But then I am not known to work fast.
Tailwheel Modified Sm.jpg
Completed
Tailwheel Modified Sm.jpg (130.35 KiB) Viewed 1712 times

Rick Caldwell
Xenos 0057 29.5 engine hrs + 3 hrs no engine
racaldwell

Return to General Discussion