Pitot/ Static tube Assembly

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Pitot/ Static tube Assembly

Postby Stevetin » Thu Feb 10, 2022 10:29 pm

Hi Fellow Builders. I'm ready to install the pitot/static tube assembly in my wing but would like to know what everyone has done or is doing for this assembly. I see that Aircraft Spruce sells a combo unit for home builders. The one that Sonex has in the prints is easy enough to build but maybe there are other/better designs out there. Suggestions?
Thank you!
Steve
Stevetin

Re: Pitot/ Static tube Assembly

Postby Bryan Cotton » Thu Feb 10, 2022 11:19 pm

Since I have a Waiex, I copied Kip's tail mounted pitot. I haven't flown it yet but I like it.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby builderflyer » Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:09 am

Steve, I've been very satisfied with the pitot-static system as shown on the plans. But I did have to raise the pressure at the static ports to calibrate the the system properly. Since I was already a plans builder, also building the pitot-system from plans seemed like the right thing to do.

Art,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Sonex taildragger #95,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Jabiru 3300 #261
builderflyer

Postby GraemeSmith » Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:23 am

If you use this one from Aircraft Spruce:

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/ ... ckkey=5714

Take the time to inspect the tack weld where the tubes pass through the mounting collar. I've had two that the welds were marginal at best and ultimately cracked - though the integrity of the tubes remained good. Sitting in gusty tie downs with a "remove before flight" streamer tugging away on it cannot have helped. In the end I used some thickened epoxy to support and fair the tubes better on the outside and painted it silver to hide it. The whole thing feels much more "solid" now.
Graeme JW Smith
GraemeSmith

Postby Murray Parr » Fri Feb 11, 2022 4:49 pm

I installed the Sonex supplied unit in the plans location but haven't tested it yet. My only concern with the location is with a Rotax swinging a 64" prop it might not be far enough out to remain out of the prop wash. Probably will be ok but just a thought I have on this.
Murray Parr
WXB0015
Rotax 912ULS
MGL Explorer Lite
First flight May 6/23
RV9 builder (Sold)
Murray Parr

Return to General Discussion