oil leak at base of cylinder

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Re: oil leak at base of cylinder

Postby T41pilot » Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:07 pm

My EAA certification guide suggests that the plane should be ready to fly in all respects. That is the assumption I'm using. As suggested , the inspection plates can come back off when needed. That way I'm covered either way. Mine are loosely attached right now so I could complete the weight and balance. It's kind of a moot point at this juncture anyway since half my engine is sitting on the bench now waiting for new sealer, reassembly and testing.
Gregg Kaat
Sonex B #0014
T41pilot

Postby Onex107 » Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:58 pm

It's kind of tight working with the cylinder still on the piston but I have used hose clamps in a pinch to compress the rings when sliding the cyl. back down. There is one clamp that can be opened and closed mid range that works very well.
OneX 107
N2107X
Onex107

Postby T41pilot » Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:35 pm

OK so the report so far. I used Hylomar at the base of the cylinders and on the push rod tube seals and am satisfied there are no leaks there. I still have a small leak at the aft bottom #3 cylinder head stud. It appears to be a blind stud but I put some goop on it anyway when I reinstalled the stud. After an engine run, there was still a leak in that area. When I cleaned up that area, I noticed that the case saver had a small gap around the thread area at the face of the case where it screws in. Since the engine was back together I tried to work some red rtv around the case case saver with a screw driver and let it dry til the next day. After today's engine run the oil leak was reduced. It looked like there was some oil oozing out from around the red rtv. So my conclusion is the case saver mounting threads are leaking since the stud had been gooped. The leak is small enough now where at least I can probably get my airworthiness inspection. I only ran full throttle for a minute and got a couple of drops of leakage. Not sure yet whether I want to do a first flight in that condition or not. The engine seems to be doing fine in all other respects. I've got about 38 inches of Map and think I can find some more by adding some more preload. The engine idles at 900 rpm OK. So now the question is can the case saver be removed by me somehow(the next time I tear down that side of the engine for the 3rd time) and some thread sealer used? What method used to remove it? Also what thread sealer would be best for the job in case anyone has already done this? Lou Pappas alluded to sealing them somehow on another post.
Gregg Kaat
Sonex B #0014
T41pilot

Postby Area 51% » Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:46 pm

Here's what worked for me in a similar situation.

Drain the oil and clean the area as best you can. A tooth brush and thinner are your friend. Create a negative pressure inside the engine case. I used a small vacuum cleaner plumbed into the oil fill hole. A lot of suction is neither necessary or desirable. Next, introduce thinner slowly at the spot of the leak. I used a syringe I got at West Marine. The thinner should get sucked into the void and remove any oil that will contaminate the next step.

Finally, (with the vacuum still running) put a few drops of Locktite onto the area, turn off the vacuum and add a couple more drops. Give it overnight to cure.

Repeat as needed till the Locktite quits getting sucked into the gap.

Worked for me.
Area 51%

Postby mike.smith » Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:27 pm

Area 51% wrote:Here's what worked for me in a similar situation.

That's really creative! Way to think outside the box (or the case...) :-)
Mike Smith
Sonex N439M
Scratch built, AeroVee, Dual stick, Tail dragger
http://www.mykitlog.com/mikesmith
mike.smith

Previous

Return to General Discussion