Finally, at long last!

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Finally, at long last!

Postby bvolcko38 » Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:23 am

Last Sunday the stars finally aligned. After 3 years!!! After burst oil cooler, vapor lock and adding a NACA scoop to fix it, sagging motor mount rubbers, bad exhaust valve seats, tuning an Aero Injector, changing to 5.00-5 tires, ... I flew for 3.2 hours with zero issues. All nominal. I may have a slight engine left/right thrust line issue due to the new polyurethane motor mount bushings I made, but should be easily correctable with some washers.
Bill Volcko XNS0068
Xenos A N68WV 99% flush rivets
Aerovee and Prince P-Tip
MGL Discovery Lite w/ Sandia STX 165R
V6
First hole 4/1/16
First flight 8/24/18
Phase I complete...finally!!!
Also flying a Challenger II since 1999
bvolcko38

Re: Finally, at long last!

Postby GraemeSmith » Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:05 am

Yay! Congratulations
Graeme JW Smith
GraemeSmith

Postby racaldwell » Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:38 am

That's great news, Bill.

I looking forward to seeing some of your performance #'s so I can compare with mine.

Mine is real close. I can now resume ground taxi testing & EFIS calibration since I got the reinforced brake pedals installed yesterday and sealed up a weeping Opps fitting (I hope!)

Rick Caldwell
Xenos 0057 N137RC
RV6 N136RC
One Design DR107 now sold & it was N137RC
racaldwell

Postby phenry » Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:48 pm

I am feeling your pain. It is six years since my first flight, yes six years and I think I have finally sorted out most of the problems I have had with my Aerovee (the Waiex is amazing). I have flown the grand sum of 85 hours in that time. My wife says "why didn't you just buy a Jabiru"? Oil leaks, failed ignition modules, low oil temperature, high CHT's, destroyed Nikasil barrels, failed alternator retaining bolts (twice), gudgeon pin circlip replacement, under powered even for an Aerovee, lost count of the engine outs on landing because the Aerojector can't cruise and idle with the same settings and who knows how many hours trying to get the Aeroinjector to actually do what it is supposed to do. I have had to have it professionally rebuild replacing barrels, pistons and machining valves and heads at great expense. I have replaced the bottom mount cooler with a top mount cooler (which helped) however I had to have the top mount cooler adapter modified to suit better seals to stop it leaking oil.
This engine has tried to kill me once, made me so angry and frustrated I considered giving up on flying altogether. My wife was right.
Peter Henry
W#149
phenry

Return to General Discussion