Hangar Pests! @#$%*!

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Hangar Pests! @#$%*!

Postby Matt541 » Mon Jul 05, 2021 2:25 pm

After so much time and effort polishing 541, I finally got it into the hangar, only for a couple of pigeons to make an absolute mess of it.

IMG_20201222_163001256.jpg
This is about a week's worth of their handy work...

So what did I do? Anything utilizing a projectile could cause collateral damage, be dangerous or in some cases be completely illegal. (Ironically pigeon poop used to be prized and even guarded by soldiers for use in making black powder...) Check your local laws, and in most cases disturbing a nest is not allowed for any species.

These spike strips absolutely did the trick as far as keeping them from perching over the plane. In no way do they "evict" birds from the hangar though. Our airport owner actually bought a large quantity of them after I put mine up and reported favorable results. The reflective strips appear to have done nothing. I suspect that there just isn't enough light inside to produce the desired effect. The concept can work in the garden, how many times have you seen tin pie plates bouncing around in the wind along the perimeter of one.

I've had limited success with owl or other predator decoys doing anything.

I'll also be experimenting with a sticky paste that comes in caulk tubes, but this can supposedly trap smaller birds too.

I use a canopy cover, DIYed cowl plugs and a pitot cover even inside. There tends to be a steady coating of dust and pollen on the plane as well... My hangar is not a sealed off "T."

So what have you guys done to combat pigeons in your hangar?

What other pests have you had to deal with and how did you solve it? I know there was some discussion of dirt daubers last year.
Sonex 541, TD, Center Stick, Revmaster w/ Prince P <SOLD>
:arrow: Anxiously awaiting the new Highwing
Matt541

Re: Hangar Pests! @#$%*!

Postby WesRagle » Mon Jul 05, 2021 3:40 pm

Hi Matt,

Yep, pigeons are beautiful birds that can make you hate them when they take up residence in your hangar.

I had an open T at KMWL about 20 years ago and had a serious pigeons problem. We just kept the airplane covered. One day, like magic, the pigeons started to disappear.

Once while I was in the terminal building and a pigeon slammed into the glass front door. I stepped outside to check it out. Turns out a couple of hawks had taken up residence on the water tower that sits next to the airport (and holds the airport beacon). Problem solved.

Wes
Wes Ragle
Onex #89
Conventional Gear
Long Tips
Hummel 2400 w/Zenith Carb
Prince P Tip 54x50
First Flight 06/23/2020
42.8 Hrs. as of 10/30/21
WesRagle

Postby Matt541 » Tue Jul 06, 2021 6:19 pm

Very cool Wes, that'll make 'em leave for sure!

We actually have a few bald eagles hanging around the river on the east side of the strip, and an old water tower on the NW end. Here's hoping they put the two together. ;)
Matt541

Hangar Pests! @#$%*!

Postby Gmoney » Sat Jul 10, 2021 12:53 pm

I have used nets. Sling them under the rafters. They have no place to perch so they move on.
G

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gmoney

Postby Matt541 » Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:43 pm

Hey, that's a great idea! I've got some extra netting that was left on my property anyway. Thanks!
Matt541

Return to General Discussion