realistic completion price for B models?

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Re: realistic completion price for B models?

Postby pappas » Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:37 pm

Rofomoto is right. The Sonex used to be able to be built much cheaper. My 2006 Waiex kit cost 16,000 plus the hardware kit and shipping. I put a 3300 Jab on it but that thing only cost $12,500 in 2006. (Almost $20k now). A few other items and I was probably in it for $30-$35k. It had one of the first Dynon D180 EFIS engine monitor combo, a radio, transponder, and ELT.

Of course, I could also have bought a house in 2007 for less than half of what one costs now.
Lou Pappas
Phoenix, AZ
RV-7A Flying (2024)
Waiex B Turbo (2016)
RV-8 (2009)
Waiex Legacy 3300 (2007)
Hiperlight SNS-9 (1991)
Falcon Ultralight (1989)
pappas

Postby Spaceman » Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:32 am

kmacht wrote:Could you spend 60k+ building a Sonex, sure but I think you would be crazy to. If you are going to spend that kind of money why not start looking at an RV or other plane with more capability?

An RV-7 kit is about similar to Sonex at $26k, but their cheapest engine + prop option is $32k from the Vans... That's $58k right there not including all the other stuff you'd need. From what I've seen/read, $80-100k is pretty typical for an RV-7. You could probably build the most maxed-out B-model you could think of for around the cost of the most bare-bones possible RV-7, I guess.
Chris Paegelow
N21YX / Waiex-B #21 / Roseville, CA
http://paegelow.blogspot.com/
Spaceman

Postby pappas » Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:43 am

True. I built my RV-8 in 18 months and first flew it in 2009. I was the 3rd owner of the airframe kit and bought it at a deep discount of $16k. Add the finishing kit at 4k, and everything else in the plane was brand new. Superior IO-360 was 23K, Dynon dual-panel at 5K, Whirlwind constant speed prop 7K, Oregon Aero seats + custom upholstery, 2.5K,
2.5k in painting materials and painted it myself, etc. Anyway, I was in that plane for $70K of 2009 dollars. I doubt you could do that today with an RV without buying a mid-time or worse motor and maybe a fixed pitch prop.
Lou Pappas
Phoenix, AZ
RV-7A Flying (2024)
Waiex B Turbo (2016)
RV-8 (2009)
Waiex Legacy 3300 (2007)
Hiperlight SNS-9 (1991)
Falcon Ultralight (1989)
pappas

Postby Barry63 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:03 pm

I would love to have been able to order a B Sonex, but with one airplane already and a daughter halfway thru college, I did'nt even bother asking the wife as I already knew the answer. So, I'm scratchbuilding and trying to keep costs in check. Having been an A&P for the past 28 years, I have accumulated a LOT of parts, hardware,etc.. and especially now where I work, the avionics guys are giving me mic and phone jacks, serviceable instruments, etc. I gladly accept anything they give me. I also take advantage of the excess wiring that they don't use when doing mods, installs and the like so I'm hoping that this will save me more money down the road that can be used for items that I must have like an engine and prop!
I love to look at the new glass panels but with having over a thousand hours behind steam gauges, that is the way I'll go. I realize that everyone is not in the same situation as myself, but I am on this website along with craigs list and barnstormers daily looking for deals. I was able to purchase a new tail kit for a third of the cost of a new one so that has saved me both time and money. I am in no rush to finish building as I have a plane to fly now, so I build when I have the free time. Hopefully I will be done by the time I retire!
Barry Leap
Mostly scratchbuild Sonex T/D
Jabiru 2200?
Barry63

Previous

Return to General Discussion