EFIS starting to fail... need to replace

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

EFIS starting to fail... need to replace

Postby ldmill » Sun May 31, 2020 10:59 am

Guys,
I've got an older MGL Stratomaster Ultra Horizon EFIS that appears to be going belly up(10+ yrs old). It started several months ago with the altitude readout becoming erratic occasionally - it would suddenly offset by anywhere from 1000 to 5000+ feet. Today, the fuel flow rate started wandering around, at times indicating 0 gph flow during extended cruise periods. I've got a Bing installed, so the float bowl can buffer this some - but not 5-10 minutes at 2800 rpm... A little pucker factor confirming it was not fuel pump (stayed over airfield), but I feel comfortable about it at this point. It may be the fuel flow transducer - but I'm slightly more suspect of the EFIS itself right now. All wiring & pneumatic tubing appears to be okay. Airspeed indicator is still working correctly.

So, the question is - does anybody have an Ultra Horizon or even the somewhat newer Enigma (uses same RDAC) they are no longer using and would part ways with? I would prefer to not install a whole brand new EFIS system at this point with everything involved in doing so...

Lorin Miller
N81YX 280 hours and going strong
ldmill

Re: EFIS starting to fail... need to replace

Postby achesos » Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:29 pm

Hmm. Multiple failures could certainly be plausibly caused by the Ultra, but with a variety of observed discrepancies, I'd wonder if this isn't the standard trailer-light phenomenon usually caused by poor grounding. Or not? Something to consider / investigate. Just spit-ballin'...
Sonex N857SX
AeroVee, Taildragger, Dual Stick
achesos

Return to General Discussion