Best place to put remote mounted avioncs

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Best place to put remote mounted avioncs

Postby Spaceman » Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:50 pm

I'm just starting to roughly plan my panel and avionics setup. I'm pretty sure I'm going to wind up with a few remote mounted items (radio, transponder, maybe one or two other things). If I can mount them anywhere, is any place better than anywhere else for CG or other concerns? I think I'm going to end up with a decent amount of empty space between my panel and fuel tank; is there any good way to stash these remote boxes in that area? That would make for short wire runs at least.

My other options I guess are under the seat or in the baggage area. What have you guys done?
Chris Paegelow
N21YX / Waiex-B #21 / Roseville, CA
http://paegelow.blogspot.com/
Spaceman

Re: Best place to put remote mounted avioncs

Postby T41pilot » Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:43 pm

I have USB hub, Safefly/EchoUat ADSB , fuse blocks and a Ground Bussbar all mounted on the bottom rail of the instrument panel. I have a GRT remote engine monitor and ELT that I haven't figured out where to mount yet. ELT will likely end up behind the seat somewhere. The engine monitor will probably end up on a side wall somewhere just behind the instrument panel. I have panel mounted Transponder and Comm radio. I'm just starting to wire a few things up now. I can send a couple of pics if you want.
Gregg Kaat
Sonex B #0014
T41pilot

Postby fastj22 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:23 pm

Spaceman wrote:I'm just starting to roughly plan my panel and avionics setup. I'm pretty sure I'm going to wind up with a few remote mounted items (radio, transponder, maybe one or two other things). If I can mount them anywhere, is any place better than anywhere else for CG or other concerns? I think I'm going to end up with a decent amount of empty space between my panel and fuel tank; is there any good way to stash these remote boxes in that area? That would make for short wire runs at least.

My other options I guess are under the seat or in the baggage area. What have you guys done?

I put mine under the seat. Created access panels to get to them.

John Gillis
SEL Private, Comm Glider, Tow pilot (Pawnee Driver)
Waiex N116YX, Jabiru 3300, Tail dragger,
First flight, 3/16/2013. 403 hours and climbing.
Home: CO15. KOSH x 5
Flying a B-Model Conversion (Super Bee Baby!)
fastj22

Postby DCASonex » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:29 am

Have a GRT EFIS with their EIS engine monitor, that predates the new blind one, so dropped it into the glare-shield directly behind the EFIS, cannot be read in flight, but does not need to be, only used in setup. Also have a multi-port USB hub mounted behind the panel. Any ELT should go near the tail of the aircraft.

On my A model, have a sheet of aluminum on back end of fuel tank shielding it from anything that might for Ftttsss . That has a single angle running from side to side and attached to upper longerons. Makes for handy mounting point back there.

David A.
DCASonex

Postby GraemeSmith » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:49 am

Putting the AHRS under the seat puts it just about perfectly central to the axes of rotation, yaw and pitch.

Magnetometer - as far from everything else that might affect it as you can get - so one of the cross beams down in the empennage.
Graeme JW Smith
GraemeSmith

Postby sonex1374 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:24 am

Spaceman wrote:I think I'm going to end up with a decent amount of empty space between my panel and fuel tank; is there any good way to stash these remote boxes in that area? That would make for short wire runs at least.

I mounted my Dynon ADAHRS and EMS module directly behind the panel on brackets hanging from the glareshield. This works really well, and is indeed a tidy way to mount and route everything. One thing to consider though. The Dynon ADAHRS contains the magnetometer (for the digital compass), and that location behind the panel is pretty close to the display and panel-mounted radio. These devices create magnetic fields that *slightly* interfere with the compass reading (approx 10 degrees error). Dynon warned me this could be a problem if mounted too close to steel parts or other electronics, but I decided to go ahead anyway. If the error is unacceptable, the solution is to mount a remote magnetometer in a better place (e.g. the tailcone, or under the seat).

I plan to install a remote magnetometer when I do the next avionics upgrade (autopilot servos and ADSB-In receiver), but that's gonna have to wait until I have more time and inclination :-).
Jeff Shultz
Sonex TD, 3300, AeroInjector
Kansas City, MO
http://www.sonex604.com
sonex1374

Return to General Discussion