Landing gear fairings

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Re: Landing gear fairings

Postby DCASonex » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:27 am

Have had the two pins inserted from center of fairings for 5 years, easy to install, and none have worked loose in that time. Notch hinge and fairing same as for the two pins in each hinge that install from center out to hold the seat pan in place.

David A. Sonex TD
DCASonex

Postby Bryan Cotton » Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:11 pm

I’ve documented my pain and suffering making and remaking these on my kitlog pages:

Well said. I am suffering a bit here too. How did you guys determine how to mount them so they are streamlined to the airflow? And it seems like the various bolts holding on the brakes and axle are killing me.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby Darick » Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:29 pm

Bryan, I used the two pin method from the center and one adel clamp about 4 to 6 inches from the bottom. The adel clamp keeps it immobile for the most part but it can move up and down the leg until it hits either the cowling or the wheel pant. I don't really like that arrangement and my intention, at some point, is to make fiberglass intersecting fairings at the top and bottom like Jeff Shultz.
As far as getting them lined up into the wind stream...??...like I said, the adel clamp is snug, but the fairing can rotate around the leg a little bit allowing the force of the wind to align it.
Darick Gundy
Sonex #1646
N417DG
Taildragger, Aerovee, center stick, Prince P-Tip Prop
MGL E1, F2, V6 radio, Sandia Xponder, Reserve lift indicator (AOA), iFly 520
First flight! 10/21/2017
Darick

Postby Bryan Cotton » Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:02 pm

For future reference, thought I would post my conclusion here. I did two pins, and ran them through the floor and wheelpant. No tab, no adel clamp. Seems very simple yet secure.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby MichaelFarley56 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:53 pm

Bryan Cotton wrote:For future reference, thought I would post my conclusion here. I did two pins, and ran them through the floor and wheelpant. No tab, no adel clamp. Seems very simple yet secure.

I did the same thing Bryan. I'm all for simple and elegant which this was. The only problem I ran into after so many hours (landings) was the flex of the gear leg and the vibration caused the pin to elongate the hole in the fuselage bottom skin which allowed for some slack of the fairing. It's totally up to you but if you'd like to remedy this now, you may want to consider a doubler of some sort, either riveted or bonded to the bottom skin of the forward fuselage. Even a washer epoxied inside the fuselage would work. Does this make sense? Just like adding a doubler to the outside of the wheel pant where the axle screw is so the fiberglass hole isn't elongated.

Nice work Bryan...keep it up!
Mike Farley
Waiex #0056 - N569KM
Jabiru 3300A #1706
MGL Panel
MichaelFarley56

Previous

Return to General Discussion