Azusa Brakes

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Azusa Brakes

Postby Onex107 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:52 am

I suppose this question applies to most all Sonex models that come with the standard drum brakes. My nose dragger Onex is at the point where I think I need to replace components. I have replaced the thin steel drums with the machined ones.
The brakes have been declining for some time. They weren't great in the first place but lately I have to use the entire length of the runway (4000 ft). They fade, overheat, with each pull. The bands are thinner at the center than the ends. I estimate I have 300 landings on them. It's not an expensive repair but I expected more life than that.
What is you guys experiance with them. I know some have gone on to the hydraulic version. The heavyer Sonex's would probably wear them faster. My only experiance is with Cessna brakes which weren't great but did last longer. Oshkosh will be over this week. Welcome back to the forum.
OneX 107
N2107X
Onex107

Re: Azusa Brakes

Postby peter anson » Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:59 pm

My Sonex has done 650 landings on the original brakes with pressed steel drums. I'd agree that the brakes are rubbish, but the longest runway on my home airfield is 2300 feet and I have never needed more than about 1600 feet. If your Onex is just not stopping it could be that some of the bearing grease has contaminated the shoes. A simple fix might be to clean the shoes and drums using a brake cleaning fluid or spray. One change I have made is to fit sealed bearings.

Peter
Sonex 894, Jab 3300, 378 hours
peter anson

Return to General Discussion