Marking with Sharpies

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Marking with Sharpies

Postby dbdevkc » Tue May 08, 2018 9:40 am

I know we all use permanent markers like Sharpies to make marks on our aluminum parts, as opposed to pencil which is a big no-no. Interesting note I just found out: My daughter is a relatively new A&P and is working for Textron Aviation. It turns out that they will no use Sharpie brand permanent markers because the ink formula is "proprietary" and they will not disclose the ingredients. So instead they use a brand called "Universal".

For what it's worth.

Kevin
[color=#800000]Kevin Conklin
Building Waiex #169
dbdevkc

Re: Marking with Sharpies

Postby kmacht » Tue May 08, 2018 1:18 pm

If you are really worried about it you can buy the TEC Sharpies. TEC stands for Trace Element Certified. They are certified to contain less than 200ppm of chlorides. With that being said, unless you are using titanium or stainless parts in a high heat or high stress environment there is no practical reason regular sharpies can't be used. I don't think you will find any evidence of a homebuilt airplane falling out of the sky because the builder used non certified sharpies to mark their parts. There is enough to worry about when building an airplane, sharpies aren't one of them.

Keith
kmacht

Postby Bryan Cotton » Tue May 08, 2018 6:02 pm

Or certified airplanes & helicopters either. Plenty of sharpies at the helicopter factories I've worked.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby dbdevkc » Tue May 08, 2018 9:12 pm

I didn't mean to suggest that there is a real problem using Sharpies, I just found it interesting that it is Textron's policy not to use them. I use them and will continue to do so and not lose any sleep over it.
[color=#800000]Kevin Conklin
Building Waiex #169
dbdevkc

Return to General Discussion