Red Cube or Gold Cube Fuel Transducer?

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Re: Red Cube or Gold Cube Fuel Transducer?

Postby Corby202 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:20 pm

Maybe John. The MGL people were telling me it was almost certainly a mechanical issue (pulsation etc), but no matter what I did, change pipe lengths, change position of the red cube to different locations, fitted a pulsation damper, fitted accumulators, nothing fixed the problem when the engine was running. If I get motivated enough to have another go I might try shielded cable.
Phil Bird
Sonex 759 JAB 2.2 Tailwheel
Mittagong NSW Australia
http://www.mykitlog.com/corby202/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78427482@ ... otostream/
Corby202

Postby lgsievila » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:52 pm

I have a Red Cube mounted right after gascolator and it has worked fine with Aerocarb, Rotec MK I, Rotec MK II, on an AeroVee and Bing on a CAMit 2200. Plenty of other problems with AeroVee but not with fuel flow indication on my Dynon Skyview. Consistently burning 4 gpm on the CAMit as measured with a "calibrated" stick dipping the tank.
Loren
Onex 33
Loren Sievila
Conventional Gear Onex33
CAMit 2200
Dynon Skyview
lgsievila

Postby peter anson » Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:57 am

I have one of the original MGL plastic fuel flow senders.
The fuel circuit is: Fuel tap > SU diaphragm pump > gascolator > FF sender > mechanical pump > Bing carb.
It was supplied with the Stratomaster by the Australian dealer who now supplies the Red cube. I don't know if these are still available, but they do appear on the MGL web site. Mine has been in use for nearly 5 years and 290 hours and has been entirely reliable and apparently pretty accurate. It is enclosed in fire sleeve along with the rest of the fuel line.

Peter
Sonex 894
290 hours
peter anson

Postby DCASonex » Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:52 am

Red cube working just fine with my 3300. Both with original Jabiru and now CAMit. Mounted on firewall with long length of 3/8" aluminum tube before it. Is last thing in the line before Bing carb, and after both engine driven and Facet backup fuel pumps. Feeds to a GRT Sport SX. Not perfect when low RPM on ground, but right on the money for everything else.

David A. Sonex TD
DCASonex

Postby mike.smith » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:06 pm

I have had a Gold Cube installed on my AeroVee for about a year and a half and it's always been terribly inaccurate. The readings were a joke. During this year's condition inspection I decided to change one thing:
Previous:
- Fuel Tank, Firewall, fine mesh screen fuel filter, Gold Cube, AeroInjector
New Arrangement (swapped the location of the filter and Gold Cube):
- Fuel Tank, Firewall, Gold Cube, fine mesh screen fuel filter, AeroInjector

My readings now seem to be very accurate. I'll be keeping track of actual fuel use versus what the Cube is telling me, but so far it appears to be WAY better than it was. Turbulence from the fuel filter maybe?
Mike Smith
Sonex N439M
Scratch built, AeroVee, Dual stick, Tail dragger
http://www.mykitlog.com/mikesmith
mike.smith

Postby sonex1374 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:37 pm

I think ensuring smooth flow into the transducer (Red or Gold cube) is essential to getting good results. I'm partial to placing the cube before the filter, gascolator, bulkhead fittings, or tight bends or elbows, as this eliminates potential sources of turbulence into the cube. There are other ways to make it work though, so long as you keep the flow smooth!

Jeff
Jeff Shultz
Sonex TD, 3300, AeroInjector
Kansas City, MO
http://www.sonex604.com
sonex1374

Postby DCASonex » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:19 am

I have my red cube right before the Bing carburetor on my Camit 3300. That is after collator, the mechanical pump and the auxiliary electrical fuel pump and it has been right on the money since out of the box on day one. However, I do have a long run of 3/8" aluminum tube across half the width of firewall, then U bend in same before running into the red cube and only a short line out from that to carb.. Only noticeable error I have seen is at low RPM with auxiliary fuel pump on and that is a very small portion of typical operation.

David A. Sonex TD
DCASonex

Previous

Return to General Discussion