Vibration on Landing

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Re: Vibration on Landing

Postby gammaxy » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:40 am

bakerde36 wrote:I have also worn out my tires new tires on the way and I will check the bearings.

Don't you only have 24 hours on the wheels? I'd expect you to be able to get at least 200 hours. Maybe you need to also check the alignment if they really are wearing that fast.
Chris Madsen
Aerovee Sonex N256CM
Flying since September 2014
Build log: http://chrismadsen.org
gammaxy

Postby sonex1374 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:52 am

From my experience, shimmy on landing can be caused by imbalanced tires (uneven wear could even be the issue, or old tires that have deteriorated from sitting), loose bolts in the axel sockets (or wallowed holes in the attachment tabs), or a harmonic in the gear leg assemblies under certain weight-speed conditions. I'd remove the wheels and check the balance on a tire balancer, and inspect the axels and bolts to see if there is any play. Wear on the tires could be an issue, but I wouldn't automatically assume that with only 24 hrs on the tires. If you see major wear on your tires at 24 hrs, you have an alignment problem that needs to be fixed.

If all that checks out fine, it could be a harmonic....

Jeff
Jeff Shultz
Sonex TD, 3300, AeroInjector
Kansas City, MO
http://www.sonex604.com
sonex1374

Postby bakerde36 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:18 am

I definitely have a problem with my alignment and have new tires on the way. I hope to correct the alignment before I put my new tires on. I wasn't getting the vibration when I wore the first tire down but will check everything you all have suggested. Thanks Densil
Densil Baker
Sonex 1578, Tailwheel
Hummel 2400, Prince Ptip 54x50
bakerde36

Postby Darick » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:21 am

NWade wrote:Note: The wheel bearings are slightly different now - I found this out when my Aerobrakes didn't fit quite right. Sonex quietly changed over to selling wheel bearings with an integral rubber cover. If you use the metal dust-cover on top of that, the bearings will stick out beyond the sides of the wheel, even with the bearing races fully seated.

Fun fact: the AeroBrakes assume that you are using these newer style of bearings, that stick out further! If you don't Use them, there will be a gap between the brake body and the wheel bearing that may allow the wheel to move slightly (which could account for some shimmy/wobble).

Which is not to say you shouldn't check the races! Give them a few raps and see if they "ring" and don't move. Just don't beat the snot out of them if they don't wind up looking exactly like Mike's photo (which I believe are the older bearings without the integral rubber seal).

--Noel

When did they change to a different bearing...after 2014? My s/n is 1646.
Darick Gundy
Sonex #1646
N417DG
Taildragger, Aerovee, center stick, Prince P-Tip Prop
MGL E1, F2, V6 radio, Sandia Xponder, Reserve lift indicator (AOA), iFly 520
First flight! 10/21/2017
Darick

Previous

Return to General Discussion