Just getting started

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Just getting started

Postby T41pilot » Sun Jan 01, 2017 6:12 pm

I'm still getting my shop space in order and haven't built any parts yet. I have a simple question for starters. During the deburr process, am I supposed to round any 90 degree corners (remove the sharp point) on the thin wall formed aluminum parts to prevent a stress crack or is this just creating extra labor for myself? Also didn't receive the hardware kit and didn't see it on my back ordered parts list. I bought the complete airframe kit plus engine. According to the website in October when I bought this, the hardware kit from WB was listed at the bottom of the what's included column. I'll be calling them Tuesday anyway but was curious if anybody here knows before I call.

Regards
Gregg Kaat
Sonex B #0014
Gregg Kaat
Sonex B #0014
T41pilot

Re: Just getting started

Postby Bryan Cotton » Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:43 pm

Gregg,
I take off the corners and polish the edges. A scotch brite wheel on a bench grinder will save hours of work.
http://m.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/top ... kkey=28075

My wheel has lots of grooves worn around the outside from polishing edges. When you run the edge through the groove the corners get knocked off too.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby lstinthot » Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:52 pm

I remove the sharp corners on all parts. I make all parts clean enough that you can run your finger all around the edge and not feel rough spots or sharp edges.
Scratch building #1604
Tail dragger
Thinking Turbo Aerovee
lstinthot

Postby Paul Johnson » Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:34 am

Gregg,

I believe the hardware kit was added to the B model in December, the full kit price now reflects this.

Paul.
Paul Johnson

Return to General Discussion