Onex vs Sonex/Waiex-B

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Re: Onex vs Sonex/Waiex-B

Postby WaiexN143NM » Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:03 pm

Hi all,
All good suggestions. Ur a bigger guy so i would go with the bigger plane. Plus the waiex/sonex B gives you more engine choices. Install a jabiriu/camit 3300 (120 hp) . Sit in the middle . I dont believe the factory will offer a 'y' stick , just a straight stick. Thats what i was told at osh 16. Plus u will have more room if you plan on some cross countries. Good luck on your decision, great you joined the forum.

WaiexN143NM
Michael
WaiexN143NM

Postby dhogue » Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:15 pm

If you are in it for solo tight aerobatics and or aerobatic competition: Onex rolls about the fore to aft fuselage center - from the pilots perspective.
The above rewards you with several aerobatic advantages over side by side seat cockpits.
Don Hogue
Onex 0173: Tailwheel: AeroVee Turbo.
Horiz/Vert Stabs, Rudder/Elevators, Fwd/IB/OB/Aileron Bellcranks on Ribs and Main Fwd/Aft Center Wing Spars, Fuselage : Complete.
WIP: Wings
dhogue

Postby mooneybum » Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:09 pm

bnvoss wrote:I just have one comment. I have been flying a tri-gear Sonex for 10 years with 485 hours. It is center stick and I only fly in the center. Extremely comfortable with my 6 ft-2 in and 250 lb frame. I didn't want and have never flown with a passenger. It's a great big-bubba airplane. Lots of headroom and legroom. Good luck with that weight loss thing.

Bob Sonex 550, Jabiru 2200

I second that, I also have the center stick, sit and fly like a King, and on ocaison take a passenger up with me. Walter N16WE with aluminum engine and over 400HR TT.
mooneybum

Postby dxlusby84 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:33 pm

Sounds like Waiex-B Turbo, flown single is the way to go. Flying center sounds weird - like riding a chopper, the way the legs are splayed out to the sides, but folks' responses have led me to conclude that I would not want to remove the possibility for a passenger entirely (sharing flying is fun!).

Thanks to everybody for the feedback and help!

-Devin
dxlusby84

Postby fastj22 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:52 pm

dxlusby84 wrote:Sounds like Waiex-B Turbo, flown single is the way to go. Flying center sounds weird - like riding a chopper, the way the legs are splayed out to the sides, but folks' responses have led me to conclude that I would not want to remove the possibility for a passenger entirely (sharing flying is fun!).

Thanks to everybody for the feedback and help!

-Devin

If you are a big guy, the legs don't splay out too much. Someone with short legs or generally smaller might find it uncomfortable. The B model might have more leg room so you might need a pad behind your back to push you up a bit. Or parachute.
I have a center stick and have flown center but find myself just as comfortable flying left seat with the stick in my right hand, throttle in the left.

John Gillis
SEL Private, Comm Glider, Tow pilot (Pawnee Driver)
Waiex N116YX, Jabiru 3300, Tail dragger,
First flight, 3/16/2013. 403 hours and climbing.
Home: CO15. KOSH x 5
Flying a B-Model Conversion (Super Bee Baby!)
fastj22

Postby lgsievila » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:10 pm

I sent you a PM Devin-did you see it?
Loren
Onex33
Loren Sievila
Conventional Gear Onex33
CAMit 2200
Dynon Skyview
lgsievila

Postby DCASonex » Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:29 am

Flying a center stick A model solo, works fine from left seat, and given that the B model will be wider at front, your legs will not be directed in toward center, thus more room for the stick. May not need to use the big bubba center position. Note: any significant pad behind back with standard seat Sonex will push a person siting in center uncomfortably close to the stick, may be better in B model, or not ?

David A. Sonex TD
DCASonex

Previous

Return to General Discussion