discovery lite problems

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

discovery lite problems

Postby dynomike » Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:10 pm

Hi ,I've been battling problems with my discovery locking up .the airspeed,altitude, horizon and turn corrdinator freeze up .Ive disconnected every thing but it and still freezes up .I disconnected the p leads and now it does some thing different it goes to 60000 ft at but it does unfreeze in flight now .although the horizon goes crazy.Im desperate for help with this thing.I bought the Scandia remote Trans and v 6 remote radio so I have to figure this out as I'm about 65 hundred deep at this point.thanks
dynomike

Re: discovery lite problems

Postby gammaxy » Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:26 pm

I assume it runs fine on the ground with the engine off? When do the problems start? Is it after you're flying, or can you create the problem on the ground?

Once it freezes, is it frozen for the rest of the flight? Do other things continue working on the display CHT, EGT, etc?

Are you using an AHRS?
Chris Madsen
Aerovee Sonex N256CM
Flying since September 2014
Build log: http://chrismadsen.org
gammaxy

Postby dynomike » Sat Nov 12, 2016 11:43 pm

It will do it on the ground or in the air with the engine running ,the engine monitoring and gps functions still work when it freezes .now it does unfreeze in flight but horizon and altitude read erroneous. I have a stock 3300 and have unplugged the alternator with the same result .
dynomike

Postby Brett » Sun Nov 13, 2016 2:31 am

I had similar issue with mine. MGL replaced the unit and it has been fine ever since. My airspeed would freeze in flight. When it occurred on the ground, when simulating airspeed through the pitot tube the artificial horizon would go crazy.

This didn't happen all the time. It was an intermittent fault.
Sonex 1645
VH-VWS
Tailwheel
Former Aerovee Turbo
Rotax 912
Brett

Postby dynomike » Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:32 pm

Hopefully I can get it figured out .I've been doing research on grounding and wire routing so I'll try that when I get back to the plane in a couple weeks
Maybe I'll try matt again today .I really like the system .so much info on one screen
dynomike

Postby gammaxy » Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:53 pm

It sounds more like a software problem to me. Do you know how to check what firmware version you have installed and compare it to whatever the latest version is? I was able to find where people had similar "freezing" problems a couple years ago... maybe you just need a software update?
Chris Madsen
Aerovee Sonex N256CM
Flying since September 2014
Build log: http://chrismadsen.org
gammaxy

Postby fastj22 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:25 am

There is an MGL forum that may be of some help, Rainier, the chief dude does monitor it.
http://www.mglavionicsusers.org

John Gillis
SEL Private, Comm Glider, Tow pilot (Pawnee Driver)
Waiex N116YX, Jabiru 3300, Tail dragger,
First flight, 3/16/2013. 403 hours and climbing.
Home: CO15. KOSH x 5
Flying a B-Model Conversion (Super Bee Baby!)
fastj22

Return to General Discussion