Countersinking for End wing attach assembly

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Countersinking for End wing attach assembly

Postby Concorde » Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:06 pm

Hi ,
I'm having a hard time getting the countersink right for the 3/16 machine screws.
Plan says countersink using 100 degree bit to 27/64". But the skin doesn't sit flush after tightening the screw , it actually pulls the skin in and causes the edge of the skin to rise up,and if I don't countersink as deep it would leave gap under the skin. I am wondering if100 degree is correct ?
Thanks
Ben Abachi
Ben
Sonex # 1684
Tri-Gear, Dual Control
Rotax 912uls
N379BS reserved.
Concorde

Re: Countersinking for End wing attach assembly

Postby lstinthot » Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:38 pm

The 100 degree angle is the correct angle. We found the dimple set to be the issue when we could not get a good fit. We bought a good set and made our layers sit a lot better.
Scratch building #1604
Tail dragger
Thinking Turbo Aerovee
lstinthot

Postby Concorde » Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:11 am

I'm using the machine screw to dimple the top skin . What kind of dimple set did you use ?
Thanks
Ben
Sonex # 1684
Tri-Gear, Dual Control
Rotax 912uls
N379BS reserved.
Concorde

Postby Bryan Cotton » Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:32 am

I use a regular 100 degree dimple die for the screw I'm using. To set the countersink I'll dimple some scrap and use it to set the microstop on another piece of scrap.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby Concorde » Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:31 am

Hi Bryan,
I think ,my problem could be that I'm using the screw to dimple the skin,and that's making the diameter of the dimple too large.
Did you get yours perfectly flush ?
Time to call my RV friend,and see if he has the 3/16" 100 degree dimple die.
Thanks
Ben
Sonex # 1684
Tri-Gear, Dual Control
Rotax 912uls
N379BS reserved.
Concorde

Postby Concorde » Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:04 am

Just remembered,you bought yours pre assembled .
Ben
Sonex # 1684
Tri-Gear, Dual Control
Rotax 912uls
N379BS reserved.
Concorde

Postby lstinthot » Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:39 pm

I was not able to get the screw to work very good for me. We bought cleaveland tool spring back dimple die set. You can buy them from cleaveland or skygeek I believe. Might be overkill, but it makes a very nice dimple.

http://www.cleavelandtool.com/custompag ... -dies.html

We tried some cheaper version and it did not do as nice as the spring back version.

Mike
Scratch building #1604
Tail dragger
Thinking Turbo Aerovee
lstinthot

Postby dbdevkc » Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:08 am

I couldn't recall how I did the dimpling, so I just checked back in my build log. I found this entry:

Received delivery of countersink microstop, a 5/32 cutter, a 3/16″ cutter, and a 5/32″ spring back dimple die. Spent some time test drilling countersinks with the 5/32″ cutter into scrap .125 material and dimpling scrap .032 material. Used the borrowed Avery C-Frame for dimpling – very nice!

Now if I remember correctly, I used the screw itself to dimple the 3/16" hole in the web material. You stated:

But the skin doesn't sit flush after tightening the screw , it actually pulls the skin in and causes the edge of the skin to rise up,and if I don't countersink as deep it would leave gap under the skin.

That seems like the dimple just isn't deep enough. Wondering how you set that dimple. If you cleco and clamp the sandwich together and put the screw in place - what would happen if you tapped it in with a rubber mallet - would it finish setting the dimple? I mean doing that as opposed to putting the nut on and torquing, causing the dimpled web material to bend up as you say, as you tighten the nut and pull the dimple down into the countersinked material.

I also found this note in my log:

Fitting of the dimpled main spar web onto the web stack and spar cap (with clecos). Noted some bending of the .032 main web that took place during the dimpling process. Took the spar apart to remove the bending with the hand seamer.
[color=#800000]Kevin Conklin
Building Waiex #169
dbdevkc

Return to General Discussion