Rattle Can Painting of Fiberglass Parts

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Re: Rattle Can Painting of Fiberglass Parts

Postby builderflyer » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:00 am

Hi Wes,

Sorry to read of your struggles with this painting thing. FYI, what I used for paint products in the photos posted earlier was Rustoleum self etching primer followed by Dupli-color multi-purpose coating (acrylic enamel). I know it's generally not a good idea to mix paint manufacturers but the Dupli-color self etching primer was so much more expensive than the Rustoleum and I'm a cheapskate. The mix, in this case, appears to be compatible in my experience.

Another thought........generally, bare fiberglass does not require the use of a primer. But in this case, I mainly use the primer to allow me to see the remaining flaws in the surface preparation. If the flaws are small and there are always some there, I use Bondo Glazing and Spot Putty to hide those flaws.

I'm quite satisfied with the initial results and time will tell as to the long term durability, but there is no reason, at this time, to believe that it will not be good.

One final thought is that you may be rushing the painting process. Once the topcoat has been applied, I wait for a minimum of 3 to 4 weeks before I attack it with the other products previously mentioned in areas that may need more attention. The acrylic enamel continues to harden over time for what seems to be a very long time. I've never attempted a "thumbnail" test after a short period of time but would likely experience the same failure that you have observed.

Art,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Sonex taildragger #95,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Jabiru 3300 #261
builderflyer

Postby WesRagle » Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:53 pm

Hi Art,

Thanks for the tips. I haven't given up yet. I just saw your post as my wife, based on your previous post, is on the way to O'Reilly Auto Parts to pick up a can of "Dupli-Color EPAE10000 Premium Acrylic Enamel Spray Paint". That and "Dupli-Color General Purpose Acrylic Enamel". Were the only two I could find. I have no idea what the difference is but, given my recent experience, I figured I should go for the "Premium".

I also found some tips from the manufacturer Ref. https://duplicolor.com/assets/documents ... n-tips.pdf.

I have applied some Rustolium enamel over Dupli-Color self etching primer (on aluminum and stainless) and will see how that works out. So far I am impressed with the Dupli-Color self etching primer. I also sprayed some Dupli-Color self etching primer on gel-coat, fiberglass, powder coat (just had to), and cromoly and will check adhesion today.

I have noticed that enamel takes a lot longer to cure than lacquer. I will do my utmost to exercise some patience. I even bought a little wind up timer that dings when it is time for a re-coat so I wouldn't cheat :-)

Thanks Again,

Wes
Wes Ragle
Onex #89
Conventional Gear
Long Tips
Hummel 2400 w/Zenith Carb
Prince P Tip 54x50
First Flight 06/23/2020
42.8 Hrs. as of 10/30/21
WesRagle

Postby Jim1342 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:12 pm

AS an alternative approach take a look at Malcolm Morrison's http://www.wienerdogaero.com web site. I attended one of his seminars at Oshkosh and was impressed.
Jim1342

Postby builderflyer » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:40 am

WesRagle wrote:Hi Art,

I also found some tips from the manufacturer Ref. https://duplicolor.com/assets/documents ... n-tips.pdf.

Thanks Again,

Wes

Wes, these manufacturer's tips are excellent. With the tips in hand and your growing personal experience, I believe you're rapidly approaching success.

Good job, Art
builderflyer

Postby WesRagle » Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:49 am

Hi Art,

I'm not discouraged, upset, or anything like that. Good rattle can painting is something every homebuilder needs in the "tool box". I've done it in the past but it was a hit and miss proposition. Hopefully at the end of this process I will have some "go to" products/processes when rattle can is the answer to the question.

BTW, I think the manufacture's tips will work with the exception of just a 48 hour wait before doing final finish on enamel. I know Rustolium would take much longer to cure. I'll spray dome Dupli-Color enamel today and see if the cure time is any faster. More when I know more.

Wes (just experimenting) Ragle
Wes Ragle
Onex #89
Conventional Gear
Long Tips
Prince P Tip 54x50
First Flight 06/23/2020
42.8 Hrs. as of 10/30/21
WesRagle

Postby WesRagle » Fri May 03, 2019 6:45 pm

Hi Guys,

After a brief delay :-)

I experimented with a lot of different primers and paints. What I finally settled on, with help from Art and others, are Dupli-Color "Automotive Primer Series SELF ETCHING" and Dupli-Color "Premium ACRYLIC ENAMEL".

The Dupli-Color self etching primer was a real find for me. The stuff sticks to anything. Wait between coats is only two minutes. Final coat to top coat is only 30 minutes. It doesn't build up a lot so the surface needs to be in good shape, as far as smooth, before priming.

The Dupli-Color Acrylic Enamel sticks to the primer very well. Instructions for using the the enamel are available on the Dupli-Color site.

Tail tips primed with self etching primer.

Four light coats followed by a wet coat.

Waited one hour after final coat and pulled the tape.

It's hard to see in the pics, but the results look pretty good. I wouldn't be embarrassed to fly with the paint as is. However, in a couple of months I will lightly wet sand with 1200 grit, polish, and wax. I believe the end results will look as good or better than I could do with a two part paint. Only time will tell as far as durability is concerned, but I'm hopeful.

Metal painted with the same process.

Anyway, until someone can show me a better way, this is going to be my standard "go to process" when rattle can paint is the answer to the problem at hand.

Thanks for the help.
Wes Ragle
Onex #89
Conventional Gear
Long Tips
Prince P Tip 54x50
First Flight 06/23/2020
42.8 Hrs. as of 10/30/21
WesRagle

Previous

Return to General Discussion