Aileron hinge drilling/riveting

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Aileron hinge drilling/riveting

Postby Darick » Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:20 pm

I need some suggestions for riveting the two rivets which are inside the counterbalance arms and going through the hinge. I haven't tried it yet, but my manual hand rivet gun will be at a roughly 45 degree angle and I can't see that being a very successful pulled rivet.

I saw one other picture on this forum of the same area and it appears that builder only had one rivet right on the middle of the c/b arms, making it an easy rivet job. So, this would be a compromise in strength to that area. What have others done?

I haven't mastered posting pictures yet to this forum, but there is a picture on my expercraft log site. Just google Light Earth Aviation to get there.
Thanks
Darick Gundy
Sonex #1646
N417DG
Taildragger, Aerovee, center stick, Prince P-Tip Prop
MGL E1, F2, V6 radio, Sandia Xponder, Reserve lift indicator (AOA), iFly 520
First flight! 10/21/2017
Darick

Re: Aileron hinge drilling/riveting

Postby sonex892 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:18 pm

Darrick

This just reminded me that these were probably the most difficult rivets to get the gun into.

I made up some small steel wedges with a hole just large enough for the mandrel nail of the rivet to pass through. Rough dimensions were about 10mm x 10mm x 3 or 4mm thick on the high side ground down to a point on the other side.

The wedge allows the gun to be at an angle, and for rivet to sit flat against the metal being riveted. I used this method everywhere it was difficult to get the rivet in. There are other ways but they normally involve modifying the rivet gun.

Steve
Sonex 892
sonex892

Re: Aileron hinge drilling/riveting

Postby Mike53 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:00 pm

This worked like a charm for me http://www.eaavideo.org/video.aspx?v=60653678001
Mike
Mike
I know but one freedom, and that is the freedom of the mind.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Reserved C-FONX for the 80th Onex,Hummel 85HP ,Tri gear,GRT Mini X EFIS,and EMS,iFly 740 GPS
Mike53

Return to General Discussion