Unusual airports

Tell about and show off the best photos from your cross country trips

Unusual airports

Postby GWMotley » Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:04 pm

I think I have landed at over 400 different airports in the states and Caribbean since I started flying in 1985. I have landed on airports, off airports, in national Forrest strips, islands, ridges, roads, and beaches. But today, I went back to an airport I have not been to in a long time. It is in Calhan, CO (5V4) a little northwest of Colorado Springs. This little strip has a soft field runway but what is really unusual is that the first 1250 feet is covered with Astro Turf! Very odd, but I have to say, the landing was as smooth as silk, or maybe I should say as smooth as PLASTIC! Any body else been to a particularly odd strip?
Gary
Sonex 1155
About 290 hours now with my Aerovee.
Gary Motley
Sonex 1155
Great Plains Force One/Aerovee Hybridized
MGL/ipad panel
First Flight 08/2011
About 670 hours on this plane
GWMotley

Unusual airports

Postby Sonex1517 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:31 pm

Great topic!

Blackhawk Farms raceway in South Beloit IL.

http://www.blackhawkfarms.com/about/blackhawk-farms-inc-airport-ll89/

We flew there in our Cessna 150F and it was extremely interesting. A grass strip with tall grass (NOT good in a 150!!!) and a racetrack adjacent to the airport. (More like around the airport!!)

I always try to find new, different, and interesting airports to fly into. Can't wait to do that in my Sonex!

Robbie Culver
Sonex 1517
Chicagoland
Tails and Wings complete - finishing fuselage.
N1517S reserved
Robbie Culver
Sonex 1517
Aero Estates (T25)
First flight 10/10/2015
325+ hours
Jabiru 3300 Gen 4
Prince P Tip
Taildragger
N1517S
Sonex1517

Re: Unusual airports

Postby Bryan Cotton » Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:58 pm

I flew into Olde Rhinebeck Aerodrome once in a PA12. It went up and down hill, plus had a corner. My dad used to fly me there when I was little. Flew at Harris Hill (4NY8) a lot. Used to tow and fly gliders. 1100', off an 800' hill on one end which was good for takeoffs. I miss it.
Flew into a farm strip in eastern NY, near my old glider club. A fellow member had landed his glider in a farm ultralight strip. The runway was narrower than the Pawnee wings. There was a stand of trees right against the west side if the runway, on the southern 1/3. It was short. Steep hill, my buddy Ron told me to land uphill, with a 10+ kt tailwind. Had to fly over the corn to keep out of the trees but when I touched down I didn't think I could stop so I went around. It was not a straight out departure due to big trees at the north end. Second approach was much slower and landed ok. Taking off downhill into the wind I had the glider up and over the corn quickly. That was very fun.
A college buddy's dad had a log cabin up in the Catskills. We used to go there often. I flew an Enstrom F28A up there and landed in the back yard. Took people for rides and stayed overnight. State police showed up due to a phone call of a circling helicopter.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby Fastcapy » Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:17 pm

-----
Last edited by Fastcapy on Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Beck
Oshkosh, WI (KOSH)
Sonex #1145 N920MB
Std Gear, Modified Aerovee, Rotec TBI, Dual Stick, Acro Ailerons
MGL Panel
Airworthiness: 10/24/13, First Flight: 05/18/14
Fastcapy

Postby N111YX » Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:41 pm

A few favorites in no particular order...

Catalina Island, CA (KAVX) Mountaintop
Cedar Key, FL (KCDK) Surrounded by ocean
Jekyl Island, GA (09J) Isolated island strip
First Flight Kitty Hawk, NC (KFFA) History
Laconia, NH (KLCI) Lake Views
Hot Springs, VA (KHSP) Mountaintop
Gastons, AR (3M0) Grass, on way in/out, fishing if you'te into that kind of thing
Falls of Rough, KY (2I3) Ajacent to State park, camping
Kip

2010 Waiex 0082 (first flight May 2010)
Jabiru 3300 #1637 and #3035
Dynon D-180
Becker radios
Garmin GDL 82 ADS-B
1050 hours
48 states visited
Based near Atlanta

Also flying a...
2000 Kolb Firestar II, Rotax 503, 575 hours
N111YX

Postby Sonerai13 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:00 am

Sonex1517 wrote:Blackhawk Farms raceway in South Beloit IL.

How long have they been operating an "airport" at BHF? I used to race down there in my Porsche days and never saw any aircraft operations. I don't even remember a place where there would be a runway. (But that was a long time ago, so I might just plain not remember!)
Joe Norris
Sonex N208GD (S/N 450)
Sonerai II N13NN (S/N 1206)
Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
Sonerai13

Postby Rynoth » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:30 am

Sedona, AZ (KSEZ). Plateau runway surrounded by gorgeous scenery.
Ryan Roth
N197RR - Waiex #197 (Turbo Aerovee Taildragger)
Knoxville, TN (Hangar at KRKW)
My project blog: http://www.rynoth.com/wordpress/waiex/
Time-lapse video of my build: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8QTd2HoyAM
Rynoth

Unusual airports

Postby Sonex1517 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:04 pm

Sonerai13 wrote:
Sonex1517 wrote:Blackhawk Farms raceway in South Beloit IL.

How long have they been operating an "airport" at BHF? I used to race down there in my Porsche days and never saw any aircraft operations. I don't even remember a place where there would be a runway. (But that was a long time ago, so I might just plain not remember!)

Not sure Joe - but the grass was VERY long when we flew in, and I had to have the in-laws take my wife in their Cessna 180 when we left. I still barely got out. (And literally flew between two clumps of trees leaving)

Not a very nice runway, and at 2000' it requires good planning.

One of those places you want to call ahead and ask about.

Robbie Culver
Sonex 1517
Chicagoland
Tails and Wings complete - finishing fuselage.
N1517S reserved
Robbie Culver
Sonex 1517
Aero Estates (T25)
First flight 10/10/2015
325+ hours
Jabiru 3300 Gen 4
Prince P Tip
Taildragger
N1517S
Sonex1517

Postby rbarber » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:25 pm

Ross International Airport, Sweetgrass MT. Runway directly on the border of Canada and US. Tall grass! Nobody there!
Burwash airport, YT, A place seldom visited. Gravel runway (Good condition). No fuel, only a weather station.
Fort Yukon, AK. I still don't know why someone would live there. Long large gravel runway, in rough condition. 8 miles above the Arctic Circle.
Seward, AK. The runway is at the river delta (From the Exit Glacier runoff), and is literally inches above the mud. and Old house is partially submerged just at the SE end of the runway.
Fairbanks, AK. Why? Because there is a cool place to camp next to your airplane on an INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT!
Stanford MT. If there is nobody there to get avgas, just taxi down the road to the Sinclair gas station/convenience store and fill up at the premium pump. Cheap!
Oshkosh, WI. Just after the airshows end (around 6:00 PM), the first Monday of Airventure. You can't turn your head enough to feel like you are safe. Insane amount of air traffic.
I can't think of any more, but these are some interesting places to visit by plane.
rbarber

Postby GWMotley » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:47 pm

Well I certainly agree Oshkosh gets a nod during Airventure. Plateau airports are always a thrill to see the earth just drop away when a moment ago you were mere feet above ground.

Another fun strip I found was in Idaho. I would have to look it up again but I believe the name was Atlanta. So, no, it wasn't in Georgia Kip. :-). This forest strip required one way in, uphill, and one way out. That being downhill of course. Not such a big deal it seems, except that it was surrounded on three sides by high mountains. What was required was a downhill run then a sharp pull up to clear the tree line. Next, to regain airspeed and climb, I had to make a sharp turn to the right when I cleared the tress and fly over the river, creek or whatever it was at the time. Right after I accomplished this, I said to myself, WOW that was fun. So, I turned around, landed again just to DO IT AGAIN!

Those are the kind of flights I really enjoy. Many days, when I go flying, I never know what direction. I just like to look at the sky, see what looks the most promising and head out to discover new spots. I'm sure you guys know how I feel.
Gary Motley
Sonex 1155
Great Plains Force One/Aerovee Hybridized
MGL/ipad panel
First Flight 08/2011
About 670 hours on this plane
GWMotley

Return to Trip reports