Oshkosh adventure

Tell about and show off the best photos from your cross country trips

Oshkosh adventure

Postby Sonex1517 » Sun Jul 28, 2024 9:33 pm

Apologies - this could be a long post...

When my wife Brenda and I moved to T25 - Aero Estates - in Frankston, TX, I knew right away that I wanted to fly my Sonex to Oshkosh. I arranged the time off work, my neighbor offered to take some of my stuff in his Recreational Vehicle (if I wrote RV....), and my wife stayed home this year to dog sit.

I already told y'all about the trip up. I also was fortunate to have it published in AirVenture Today, where I write all week during the show. If you're bored you can read that here:

https://inspire.eaa.org/2024/07/26/one- ... kosh-2024/

On Saturday July 27th I left the UW Oshkosh dorms at 4:35 am via Uber, got to the vehicle gate of the show, and walked the rest of the way in lugging my crap. The things we do for love... Note to self - better logistics next year!

I loaded and preflighted the Sonex for a 6 am departure - once the ATIS is up and running, the field is open for departures. Sure enough - a minute or so after 6 the ATIS came up so I started up and let her warm up. I taxied out for departure and was probably the third one to go.

As with everything else at Oshkosh, the departure procedures are anything but standard. An intersection departure, very little standard communication, and instructions to fly 180 and stay below 1300' MSL. Kudos to the controller for knowing I was in a Sonex! As I pulled onto the runway, the controller asked me where I was from. I said Texas, and he asked where - he is from Austin. Now, mind you while this conversation is occurring I am lining up on the runway, bringing the power up, raising the tail and tracking the centerline. Off I went into a perfect morning sky.

Where else in the aviation world can ATC tell you to fly 500' AGL?

I headed south and was just grinning ear to ear - the visuals were incredible. Some ground fog in the shallows of the fields, the sun was rising off my left, and the soft light made for an incredible experience. I am not used to flying at 500' and this was a treat!

Once I cleared the Delta, I climbed and turned on course for KJVL - Janesville, WI - where a favorite breakfast place is. Lots of traffic inbound and outbound for Oshkosh all over the place and I kept my head moving to try to find them all.

The hour to Janesville passed quickly, and a grumpy controller cleared me for runway 32. I even managed a nice landing. After I topped off the fuel, I headed inside. Breakfast was delicious, and I was back in the air fairly fast. Next stop, KMQB - Macomb IL. It was a spectacular flight - perfectly smooth, still nice soft light, and familiar views over northwest Illinois.

Approaching Macomb, the dusters were out. It's always cool to watch from above. Apparently so were the bugs - when I landed the Sonex was a mess. I have some work to do this week!

Next leg was supposed to be KMQB to KGLY, but as I got farther into Missouri, the clouds started to close in. What started as some layers soon became low scud, and I diverted to Mexico, Missouri (KMYJ) to get fuel and re-evaluate the weather. The radar looked ugly to the south, it was tracking towards MYJ, and a couple of other aircraft arrived as I tied down the Sonex and put the cover on, expecting the storm to arrive. It never did - so after a nice break, I decided to do an end run around the crud by going northwest, then west, then turning south again. It worked - I never even got wet.

I arrived at KGLY in time to see the courtesy car full of pilots getting ready to leave. I shut down and asked if I could join them, but the car was already full. I got gas and tied the plane down - I was done for the day and super tired after an early start. Now, I know a lot of you are hard core who power through and fly long hours. My philosophy is a bit different. I am in it for the experience and adventure, and half the fun is the journey. Besides, I know myself and I was far too tired to go any farther.

I headed into the pilots lounge to cool off and found they had an itty bitty kitty in there who wanted attention and food. I could offer attention. The little thing was so adamant that I ended up sitting on a couch scratching it for a good 20 minutes. I am not a big fan of cats, and definitely prefer dogs, but this little thing was adorable.

Eventually the courtesy car came back and I headed into town for lunch and my hotel room. (I did return to the airport later in case anyone else needed the car, but no one was there)

This morning I made another early start, departing before 7 am. As soon as I took off, it became obvious the weather would have a hand in the day. Visibility was maybe 10 miles in murk.

First leg was supposed to be KGLY to Tahlequah, Oklahoma (KTQH). The theme for the day was headwinds. I was fighting 20 knot winds all the way home. As a result, I diverted to KGMJ, Grove Regional so I would have enough fuel for my trip over the hills. The clouds started to get lower also. The wind at pattern altitude was crazy - I could see the windsock was almost limp, but I was getting bounced around and drifting on my 45 degree entry to the downwind. I was amazed at how rough it was but the wind died literally as I reached the runway - a weird dynamic I have only seen a few times.

I always believe in creative planning, and this trip was full of decisions made in the air. I would have been low on fuel if I tried to get to TQH, and I hate that feeling.

Departing GMJ the wind had picked up even more and it had gotten rougher - I climbed up past the layer and it smoothed out, but the clouds were closing in below me. I am not a huge fan of VFR on top, but there were enough holes below that I decided to keep going.

This leg was my longest. I had originally planned to go to KPRX but there was no way I had enough fuel. I again diverted, this time to KHHW - Stan Stamper in Hugo, Oklahoma. This place is literally barely in Oklahoma - the red river is just south of it. As I descended for pattern altitude, once again the wind was beating me up. Below the clouds was rough and the visibility was terrible. Once again, the wind died right as I approached touchdown.

This was my final stop - I was an hour and fifteen minutes from home! To me, this is where I get extra careful - it is easy to get lulled into feeling pressure to get there.

The clouds had begun to break and my wife texted me that it was also clearing at home. I knew if I stayed low it would be a rough trip in bad visibility, but if I climbed up I would be VFR on top for most of the trip. I chose to go high, and found some big holes to climb through - I ended up going up to a good VFR cruising altitude for my heading and settled in for the ride. Up high it was smooth, but the layer below had completely closed. Never a comfortable feeling....The wind at altitude was like 30 knots.

I watched the miles tick by and kept my eye out for a big hole to descend through. Sure enough, one appeared about 40 minutes out from T25. Once again, I descended into some really rough air and bad visibility - safe and legal but hard to fly through.

I called Tyler tower since I would be bouncing through their airspace. He asked me to stay above 2000' but I told him I could not guarantee that as I was getting 300' variations in altitude as I headed south. This was the roughest air I have flown in for a long time.

Soon enough, T25 was straight ahead. I descended to pattern altitude, turned my downwind and adjusted for the wind. I focused hard on the basics - I was tired, excited to be home, but also trying to be super aware of how easy it would be to lose focus.

The result was a nice wheel landing in the grass! Easy taxi to the house, and I shut down.

I flew an airplane I built in my garage to and from the world's biggest GA event, spent the week seeing friends and writing about aviation, and had a blast.

Total time round trip was exactly 20 hours - no problems, thankfully, and only a few weather challenges. Sonex makes a great kit - and if you respect the capabilities of the aircraft it is a blast to fly cross country.

If you're still building - keep at it! The journey is worth the reward at the end!
Robbie Culver
Sonex 1517
Aero Estates (T25)
First flight 10/10/2015
375+ hours
Jabiru 3300 Gen 4
Prince P Tip
Taildragger
N1517S
Sonex1517

Re: Oshkosh adventure

Postby Bryan Cotton » Mon Jul 29, 2024 8:21 am

Great stories Robbie!
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby N111YX » Mon Jul 29, 2024 2:27 pm

Nice re-cap of the ride home, Robbie. I clocked about 13 hours and had my share of weather and FBO life too.

One FBO (I96, Columbia, KY) looked like a Bed Bath and Beyond, loaded with flowers and sappy decor that only a woman could choose. There was even a "Love You More" sign on the wall. There was no sign of a person anywhere.

I was taking pictures because no one would believe me when a woman walked in and after some small talk, I had to ask.

Who decorated this place?

It turns out a wedding was scheduled there that Saturday.

I was a bit relieved, actually.
Kip

2010 Waiex 0082 (first flight May 2010)
Jabiru 3300 #1637 and #3035
Dynon D-180
Becker radios
Garmin GDL 82 ADS-B
1100 hours
48 states visited
Based near Atlanta

Also flying a...
2000 Kolb Firestar II, Rotax 503, 575 hours
N111YX

Postby Sonex1517 » Mon Jul 29, 2024 6:11 pm

Some photos from my adventure going home.
Attachments
IMG_5525.jpeg
Sunday morning in Clinton, MO - another early departure!
IMG_5510.jpeg
Crossing the Mississippi River in murk and haze.
IMG_5500.jpeg
Beautiful morning to fly!
IMG_5496.jpeg
6 am departure from Oshkosh.
Robbie Culver
Sonex 1517
Aero Estates (T25)
First flight 10/10/2015
375+ hours
Jabiru 3300 Gen 4
Prince P Tip
Taildragger
N1517S
Sonex1517

Postby n502pd » Tue Jul 30, 2024 9:59 pm

All I have to say is ...WOW!! Very nice job on pictures, and trip returning! In years past I have flown into KOSH, and really enjoyed it, and the menories to this day! As time marches on for ne, I may not get a chance to return, but I read of your trip back as simular to one of mine, weatherwise. I am glad you had a blast, and are home safely!
Joe Nelsen
scratch built :D
Sirpeedee, N502PD, s/n 1510, Aero Vee 2.1 s/n 0870,
ADS-B in (Stratux)/out(SkyBeacon)
Flying @78.2
KGYI/N. Tx Reg/Perrin Field
EAA Technical Counselor, Chapter 323, Sherman, TX
n502pd

Return to Trip reports