XC vlog from Illinois to Maine!

Tell about and show off the best photos from your cross country trips

XC vlog from Illinois to Maine!

Postby Ethanm » Sat Oct 21, 2023 1:53 pm

Finally put together this video documenting the trip bringing my new (old) aerovee sonex home from Illinois to Maine. Was a fantastic journey and a long time dream come true!

Here's a rundown of the trip:

Route: KDEC-K96-KLAF-KMNN-KTSO-KELZ-KRME-KOWK

11.5 hours,
1065 Miles,
48 gallons used,
Avg. 4.2GPH
22.2 MPG
Avg. ground speed 92.5
Avg. indicated airspeed 103 (estimated, was fighting headwinds)

Planes been on the ground for most of the time since bringing it home while working on upgrades (aerobrakes, oil separator, wheel pants, nav and landing lights, valve work), finally finishing all these up and can't wait to get back in the air :)
Ethanm

Re: XC vlog from Illinois to Maine!

Postby daleandee » Sat Oct 21, 2023 4:49 pm

Ethanm wrote:Finally put together this video documenting the trip bringing my new (old) aerovee sonex home from Illinois to Maine. Was a fantastic journey and a long time dream come true!

Planes been on the ground for most of the time since bringing it home while working on upgrades (aerobrakes, oil separator, wheel pants, nav and landing lights, valve work), finally finishing all these up and can't wait to get back in the air :)

I enjoyed the video greatly! I did notice that the original panel placard was incorrect as the N number is registered as an EX/AB and not an ELSA but it was gone after the panel upgrade. Let me say in the kindest way possible that planning to fly a VW powered Sonex in night/IFR conditions is something you should seriously reconsider ...

Dale
3.0 Corvair/Tailwheel
daleandee

Postby Tony4aro » Sun Oct 22, 2023 7:20 am

I watched and commented on the vid this morning. BUT.... how is it "Day 3".... when it was the only Sonex vid on your youtube channel? LOL
Corvair powered Waiex (under construction)
N3848D
W0181
Tony4aro

Postby N111YX » Sun Oct 22, 2023 8:48 am

Fantastic trip and great editing!

I was happy to see that the throttle was re-located to be next to the mixture control.

Good luck with the upgrades.
Kip

2010 Waiex 0082 (first flight May 2010)
Jabiru 3300 #1637 and #3035
Dynon D-180
Becker radios
Garmin GDL 82 ADS-B
1050 hours
48 states visited
Based near Atlanta

Also flying a...
2000 Kolb Firestar II, Rotax 503, 575 hours
N111YX

Postby Bryan Cotton » Sun Oct 22, 2023 4:40 pm

Nice! Enjoyed the video. We fly our Waiex at night but I think it would be a horrible IFR platform. Does great loops and rolls though!
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby GordonTurner » Mon Oct 23, 2023 11:13 am

Ethan

It will actually make a good IFR trainer. By the time you take your checkride you’ll be very sharp. Start saving up for an autopilot roll servo. There are going to be times when you need to engage your brain in something besides keeping the plane right side up. Also, maintaining an even keel in a neutrally stable or so airplane will be tiring.

As far as night flying:

1. The risk of engine failure is always present, at night it will be extremely challenging to deal with.

2. At night you can become without visual reference for a number of reasons instantly and unexpectedly. Brief yourself for this before every night flight and have a plan how to deal with it. Don’t panic.

Enjoy this adventure, you have selected a difficult but rewarding journey.

Best, Gordon
Waiex 158 New York. N88YX registered.
3.0 Liter Corvair built, run, and installed.
Garmin panel, Shorai LiFePo batteries.
GordonTurner

Postby MichaelFarley56 » Mon Oct 23, 2023 7:58 pm

Great video and thank you for sharing! I’m glad you’re enjoying your new airplane. Keep us updated on your progress!

Thanks again!
Mike Farley
Waiex #0056 - N569KM
Jabiru 3300A #1706
MGL Panel
MichaelFarley56

Postby tps8903 » Mon Oct 23, 2023 9:35 pm

Ethanm wrote:Finally put together this video documenting the trip bringing my new (old) aerovee sonex home from Illinois to Maine. Was a fantastic journey and a long time dream come true!

Here's a rundown of the trip:

Route: KDEC-K96-KLAF-KMNN-KTSO-KELZ-KRME-KOWK

11.5 hours,
1065 Miles,
48 gallons used,
Avg. 4.2GPH
22.2 MPG
Avg. ground speed 92.5
Avg. indicated airspeed 103 (estimated, was fighting headwinds)

Great video. Make sure you check your electrical demand vs output with an amp meter to make sure you are supplying enough power for those nifty IFR electronics and lights you've added.

My plane isn't super electrical heavy and I only have 2 amps to spare if I turn everything on.
Chris Morris
Sonex N998PC - SOLD!
Sonex #1732 - Aerovee Turbo
Central Florida
tps8903

Postby mike.smith » Tue Oct 24, 2023 11:06 pm

Regarding the electrical output, I always turn OFF my secondary ignition once I'm a couple thousand feed above ground. It's not needed to run the aircraft if the primary magnetos are working. The coils of the secondary ignition require power, so turning them off allows the battery to fully charge, and would allow you to have some "excess" juice to run your new equipment. But as suggested, you should do some load testing in flight in daytime VMC to verify you are not discharging when running everything. I turn my secondary ignition back on when approaching the airport for landing.
Mike Smith
Sonex N439M
Scratch built, AeroVee, Dual stick, Tail dragger
http://www.mykitlog.com/mikesmith
mike.smith

Postby tps8903 » Tue Oct 24, 2023 11:17 pm

mike.smith wrote:Regarding the electrical output, I always turn OFF my secondary ignition once I'm a couple thousand feed above ground. It's not needed to run the aircraft if the primary magnetos are working. The coils of the secondary ignition require power, so turning them off allows the battery to fully charge, and would allow you to have some "excess" juice to run your new equipment. But as suggested, you should do some load testing in flight in daytime VMC to verify you are not discharging when running everything. I turn my secondary ignition back on when approaching the airport for landing.

Point taken, however I’m not sure how prudent it would be to run on a single ignition in IMC, which is what he’s gearing the plane up to do. If you plan to do any IMC you should be able to cover the entire load required 100% of the time without resorting to load shedding. 14 CFR 91.205 (d)(7). Open for interpretation of course, like most Air Regs, but we all know which way the FAA leans on these issues.
Chris Morris
Sonex N998PC - SOLD!
Sonex #1732 - Aerovee Turbo
Central Florida
tps8903

Next

Return to Trip reports