Grand Day Out

Tell about and show off the best photos from your cross country trips

Grand Day Out

Postby GraemeSmith » Thu Feb 10, 2022 8:24 am

CLICK ON EACH PICTURE TO SEE AS INTENDED.

KUUU - Newport; B18 - Alton Bay (no landing - not plowed); KLCI - Laconia (for fuel); Round Mount Washington; KSFM - Sandford (fuel and meet up with Stirling Brandt); Ground Briefing and then Photoshoot; then home to KUUU - Newport. 5.3 PIC and X-Country and 3 landings.

We had hoped Alton Bay might be plowed when we got there - it was not. It was calm and CAVU and I was able to fly over Mount Washington - though the mountain flying course was still an important part of keeping safe - it was relatively calm all round but blowing 35 knots on top of the mountain with a 500fpm lift on the windward side. I stayed out the rotors on the lee side!!

20220209_112011.jpg
Mount Washington, NH

We chased around a bit and finally met up at KSFM - Sanford. "Just to chat a few minutes". 2 hours later.......... :-)

20220209_131808.jpg
Stirlings Waiex B with Aerovee Turbo. My Legacy Sonex behind

Stirling had Mark (Mark - I'm sorry - I forgot your last name) with him. Mark has a Legacy Sonex Quick Build part assembled in his living room apparently....

Despite the fact we both live in the tie downs and need a good polish - me more than Stirling - we caused quite a stir on the ramp among the school 172's. Even the AP's from the shop came over to look see and ask questions. We finally had to get going before it got too late in the day - but we briefed some formation and tried to get some pictures in the low slanting sun as we flew home.

20220209_153429EDIT.jpg
20 Shots later - I get a slightly decent one....

Stirling1.jpg
Stirling catches me as I break off after another photo pass.

If you are on FB - full pics and some video at:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1581111 ... 5406148916
Graeme JW Smith
GraemeSmith

Return to Trip reports