Who needs the airlines when you own a Sonex?

Tell about and show off the best photos from your cross country trips

Who needs the airlines when you own a Sonex?

Postby peter anson » Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:11 am

Well, I have to admit I often do, but if I had flown Qantas or Virgin Blue I wouldn't have had this great photo opportunity.
Except for the chance to take a photo of my Sonex with an aircraft that my father once flew, this was a pretty arduous trip, one during which I thought several times that I had made the wrong call. I have flown (and written about) doing the flight from Kyneton to Rockhampton a couple of times before, but doing a long flight is always a bit of an adventure and sometimes it can be a bit more adventurous than you wanted. Here's a link to my blog: http://www.ansoneng.com/sample-page/sonex-trips/who-needs-an-airline-when-you-have-a-sonex/

Peter
Last edited by peter anson on Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
peter anson

Re: Who needs the airlines when you own a Sonex?

Postby GordonTurner » Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:56 am

Nice shot Peter. Looking good!!!!

Waiting to hear the stories you are alluding to :)
Waiex 158 New York. N88YX registered.
3.0 Liter Corvair built, run, and installed.
Garmin panel, Shorai LiFePo batteries.
GordonTurner

Postby peter anson » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:57 am

Oops, forgot that part. See link above.

Peter
peter anson

Postby GraemeSmith » Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:23 am

Great Trip Report!

I had a bad card reader on a hot day in Louisiana a while back. I went into the FBO where the attendant rolled his eyes and came out - put a handle in the pump and hand cranked the 10 galls or so I needed. Then we went in to the FBO do the CC over the phone. I noticed the Jet-A pump had last dispensed 194 galls. He saw me glance at it - "Yep - I hand pumped that earlier..."

Now to physically describe the attendant (no racism intended - this is just a description) - he was coal black and as wide as he was tall. Wearing a striped T shirt. I glanced out the window and noticed another similar looking and dressed gentleman weeding the tie downs. He saw me look. I offered:

"I'm guessing I don't get to take a picture with you?"

He confirmed - "Yep - we prisoners run the place at the weekend - the civilians run it weekdays - no pictures". "Here you need the keys to the courtesy car to get into town?" As he proffered me the keys...
Graeme JW Smith
GraemeSmith

Postby builderflyer » Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:07 am

Good read, Peter

Question......what typical cruise rpms are you using on your 3300 to obtain the performance numbers you report?

Thanks,

Art,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Sonex taildragger #95,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Jabiru 3300 #261
builderflyer

Postby peter anson » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:50 pm

Hi Art, I usually cruise at about 2750 RPM and my fuel flow meter is indicating 21 to 22 litres per hour. Since my actual fuel use is slightly less than the indication I guess my calibration is a little out. My engine is about the same vintage as yours, serial #116. The engine is mostly original except for a late model exhaust. I had a prop strike about 4 years ago and while everything was pulled apart for checking I machined the exhaust ports to take the newer exhaust. Made absolutely no difference as far as I could tell. The Bing carburetor is fitted with what Jabiru once called the "economy tuning kit". It consisted a couple of different jets and needle with a different taper. I think it was just the standard Jabiru jet set from 7 years ago.

I run an uncoated Prince P Tip prop, nominally 56 x 64. I bought it about 5 years ago but it was too coarse and the engine couldn't pull it so went back to the original 54 x 60 Prince. When I reassembled everything after the prop strike I needed a propeller so re-shaped the 56 x 64. According to my measurements the prop was closer to a 67" pitch. Not being sure of my method I checked the broken 54 x 60 prop and got close to 59" pitch so my method sort of checked out. What I know about propeller aerodynamics could be written on an envelope, but modifying that prop has worked well enough and I have been using it for the past 4 years. Incidentally, the reason I bought the uncoated prop was that I judged it would be more flexible than the carbon fiber coated prop so should change pitch a bit more under load. I actually asked Lonnie about this and he said they allowed for that in their design but I'm dammed if I can see it. The sections of the two props are close to the same. I measure my modified prop as about 63" to 64" pitch now but I have no reason to believe it is better or worse than anything else around.

Peter
peter anson

Return to Trip reports