Getting into AirVenture in 2019

Tell about and show off the best photos from your cross country trips

Getting into AirVenture in 2019

Postby mike.smith » Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:01 pm

Anyone who flew into Airventure this year knows how difficult that was at the start of the show due to the soft, wet ground conditions. On Sunday I was south of OSH in Waukesha trying to figure out what to do. The ATIS said they were only letting in "Tundra tires, [manufacturers] display aircraft, or aircraft with reserved hard surface parking areas." Hmmmm.....

Let's see. Sonex has the homecoming from 10 to 2. It was 9:00am. I told my wife to drive me to the airport right away. I had a plan.

I took off and headed north. Not too many aircraft in the FISK approach due to the restrictions. The FISK controller asked each aircraft to confirm they "Had tundra tires, were display aircraft, or aircraft with a reserved hard surface parking area." When they asked me I said, "local traffic, East tee hangars." The controller paused (he's not a local). "Uh... is that hard surface parking?"

"Affirmative," I said.

"OK. Right 90 degree turn to the Runway 36 Left approach."

I made the landing on the yellow dot and put up my sign in the windscreen: "Local Traffic. East Tee Hangars." They taxied me over to Sonex and I parked. It was 11:30 and I was in!! I got lunch at Sonex and chatted with a bunch of people.

Around 1:00pm the Sonex company aircraft lined up to taxi across the field. I had already gotten a report from a friend on the other side that the usual Sonex show parking area was dry and firm. So I just jumped on the end of the line of company aircraft and headed across the field! The Sonex aircraft were taxied off of P to the new Sonex show location, and that just happened to pass right by the usual Sonex parking area! So I let the company aircraft keep going, and I simply shut down and pulled my plane across the grass to the parking area.

I was in! Had I not, I might not have gotten in until Tuesday due to the restrictions and then all the saturation of the FISK approach.
Mike Smith
Sonex N439M
Scratch built, AeroVee, Dual stick, Tail dragger
http://www.mykitlog.com/mikesmith
mike.smith

Re: Getting into AirVenture in 2019

Postby Rynoth » Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:08 am

You clever rebel.
Ryan Roth
N197RR - Waiex #197 (Turbo Aerovee Taildragger)
Knoxville, TN (Hangar at KRKW)
My project blog: http://www.rynoth.com/wordpress/waiex/
Time-lapse video of my build: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8QTd2HoyAM
Rynoth

Postby MichaelFarley56 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:46 pm

Great thinking Mike! I’m glad to hear it worked out well for you!

Did you have any issues on the trip back to Boston? How did the airplane and AeroVee perform for you on the trip?

Thanks for sharing the report! I’m glad it worked out well for you!
Mike Farley
Waiex #0056 - N569KM
Jabiru 3300A #1706
MGL Panel
MichaelFarley56

Postby mike.smith » Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:45 pm

MichaelFarley56 wrote:Great thinking Mike! I’m glad to hear it worked out well for you!

Did you have any issues on the trip back to Boston? How did the airplane and AeroVee perform for you on the trip?

Thanks for sharing the report! I’m glad it worked out well for you!

On the trip out I stopped at the Air Force Museum for a two day visit. Awesome place! Huge!

The trip back was my best yet. Usually the clouds keep me low throughout the midwest. This time I got to fly at 5,500 and 7,500 all the way home. A 30 kt tail wind took 3 HOURS off the time it took me to fly out (8.4 vs 11.8). With full fuel and my gear I was at 1,036 lbs. 3,500' density altitude was the worst I ran into and still climbed OK (but not going to win any time to altitude awards!).

After leaving OSH I landed at Waukesha with a 22 kt gusting crosswind. NOT something I like in my tail dragger. I got on the ground OK and taxied gingerly. The tower had warned me I might need to go around, and after I landed they actually said, "nice landing!" But I think I'll avoid doing that again any time I can! Scares me.

Plane and AeroVee had no issues. 4.5 gph average at 100 kts TAS. Total of 4 oz of oil used for the 22 flight hours. Best of all, average CHTs were 230F to 320F depending on the cylinder. All cylinders running under 300F at higher, cooler altitudes. Never saw above 350F even on a hot climb out. Oil temps not over 185F, and averaged around 160F.

I'll eventually put together a YouTube video of the trip.

Thanks for asking!
Mike Smith
Sonex N439M
mike.smith

Postby mike.smith » Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:46 pm

Rynoth wrote:You clever rebel.

Just using the system to my advantage :-)
Mike Smith
Sonex N439M
mike.smith

Postby Bruce593SX » Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:48 pm

We arrived on Friday late afternoon in my Bellanca. We were listening to approach on Sunday and I was thinking that Sonex could easily help those with Sonex aircraft get in as the Sonex gathering was indeed “pre arraigned hard surface parking”. I would have done the same thing.
Bruce Johnson
Sonex 593 AeroVee Turbo
Plans building near San Antonio, TX
Bruce593SX

Return to Trip reports