Gatlinburg trip

Tell about and show off the best photos from your cross country trips

Gatlinburg trip

Postby Titanium Cranium » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:56 pm

A couple weeks ago I decided to take a day trip from Dayton down to Gatlinburg. I enjoyed some nice views of the Kentucky hills on my way into the Smokies. Aside from some intense wind gusts while landing and taking off from Gatlinburg, it was a wonderfully smooth day of flying.
Tom Hilsdorf
N37YX
Dayton, OH
Titanium Cranium

Re: Gatlinburg trip

Postby andrewp » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:19 am

I have been into Pigeon Forge last year with the family in the Cessna - PF is a tourist crazy place, but the general area is very pretty.
andrewp

Postby andrewp » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:19 am

And BTW, wonderful pictures!
andrewp

Postby MichaelFarley56 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:39 pm

Great trip and pictures Tom! I'm really happy to hear you're enjoying the Waiex and putting some miles under you! Have you had a chance to get a good feel for cruise speeds and fuel burns on your airplane?

I fly into Knoxville, TN all the time; it's a beautiful area, just like your pictures show! Do you have thoughts or plans for any other longer trips this fall? I know it's a close trip for you, but we need to figure out a time where you, Scott and I can meet at Urbana for breakfast one morning!
Mike Farley
Waiex #0056 - N569KM
Jabiru 3300A #1706
MGL Panel
MichaelFarley56

Postby Titanium Cranium » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:54 pm

MichaelFarley56 wrote:Great trip and pictures Tom! I'm really happy to hear you're enjoying the Waiex and putting some miles under you! Have you had a chance to get a good feel for cruise speeds and fuel burns on your airplane?

I fly into Knoxville, TN all the time; it's a beautiful area, just like your pictures show! Do you have thoughts or plans for any other longer trips this fall? I know it's a close trip for you, but we need to figure out a time where you, Scott and I can meet at Urbana for breakfast one morning!

I've been finding that if I cruise at 3150 RPMs and in the 3000-6000 ft range, I'm cruising at 120-125 mph and burning about 4.7-4.8 gph. We definitely need to meet up at Urbana. I owe my wife a pie, so I need to get over there in the next couple weekends.

I'm planning a trip to Atlanta in a couple weeks for my Aunt & Uncle's 50th wedding anniversary. That'll be my longest trip in it so far. I'm hoping to fly to KOSH some time soon as well to get familiar with the airport before flying there next summer for Airventure. And shortly before Airventure, my older son and I will be flying the Waiex all the way to Phoenix to drop him off, then I'll fly back solo. If I have enough days off, I'll detour up to Provo to visit family and fly some mountain passes through Boulder on the way home. I've been thinking about doing a weekend trip to Boulder and back to see how much runway I will need at 7000 ft altitude airstrips.
Tom Hilsdorf
N37YX
Dayton, OH
Titanium Cranium

Return to Trip reports