Waiex B with Yamaha

Waiex B with Yamaha

Postby WaiexB22 » Mon Jun 19, 2023 9:21 pm

After a few years on the back burner, Waiex model B number 22 has been relocated and work is starting again. The kit was purchased by my dad in November 2016. He worked on it for a few years and I helped when I could on the weekends. Life got in the way and the plane sat around for a few years. I recently worked out a deal with my dad to take over the project and we relocated it my home in Denver, NC where I am starting to work on it in my free time.

I am an instrument rated private pilot. I am a mechanical engineer by day and I have a young family at home. This is a hobby and work on it when I can so progress will be slow, but I am hoping to be flying in 2-3 years.

About the plane - The tail and fuselage are largely completed. The fuselage is ready for a motor mount, gear, and canopy. The fuel tank needs to come out for the new straps, and I am planning to convert to the new dual stick option. I am also planning a tilt back canopy. The little wheel is on the back.

Since the move I have inventoried everything, reviewed the drawings and confirmed the stop point, wrapped up a few miscellaneous items on the fuselage and I plan to start the wings this week.

...and for the really fun part - I have a 4 cylinder yamaha apex engine that I am planning to use. I will be closely following the setups that have been very successful in the STOL world. I am planning to document some of this on youtube if I can find the time.
Robert
Waiex-B 0022
Yamaha Apex
Building
WaiexB22

Re: Waiex B with Yamaha

Postby Bryan Cotton » Mon Jun 19, 2023 11:08 pm

Sounds cool! Welcome to the forum!
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby BRS » Mon Jun 19, 2023 11:58 pm

Great!
It's about time someone installs an Apex. Nice and compact with plenty of power. You might have to derate it - ha.
-Brock
Sonex-A (s/n 1013)
R2300, P-tip 54/50
Center Stick
V16, TT22
BRS

Postby WaiexB22 » Fri Sep 29, 2023 2:15 pm

I just created a photo log on here and I will try to keep it updated.

http://www.sonexbuilders.net/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=7422&p=56082&hilit=yamaha#p56082
Robert
Waiex-B 0022
Yamaha Apex
Building
WaiexB22

Return to Introductions