Grand Rapids MI looking @used Sonex

Grand Rapids MI looking @used Sonex

Postby 40_Year_Dream » Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:32 pm

I’m a 200 hr ppl, working on an instrument rating. I have some hours in low-wing pipers, and 5 hours of tail wheel instruction (but not the endorsement).
I’ve been flying flight school rentals, and lately flying club airplanes, but scheduling conflicts and maintenance issues crop up often. I've been looking for an airplane I could buy: I've decided it should be a low wing, and experimental (so I’m not stuck with poor engineering choices from 50 years ago).
I am looking at this ad on BS, and wonder what the community thinks of it:

SONEX VERY NICE TAKEN CARE OF • $17,500 • DON'T MISS OUT • 2002 Sonex Jabiru 2200 52" Wood Prop Can Email Pic, 300 hours airframe & engine. Logbook,Taildragger • Contact Amanda Quenzer , Owner - located Coffeyville, KS 67337 United States • Telephone: 9132090476 • Posted July 14, 2022

I've contacted the seller, and was provided a nice set of detailed pictures. The plane flew last in 2020, but had a recent condition inspection, FWIW.

Thanks in advance
John
40_Year_Dream

Re: Grand Rapids MI looking @used Sonex

Postby sonex1084 » Wed Jul 27, 2022 5:50 am

Hey John, the Sonex is a wonderful airplane to fly. It is economical and easy to maintain. I love mine. Unfortunately, it will be hard for anyone to give you a realistic opinion of this particular aircraft based on an advertisement. I'll give you some advice. Don't buy an airplane without seeing it and reviewing its logbooks (that means you have to know what you are looking for). Don't buy an airplane without flying it. Don't buy an airplane without having an "independent" inspection. Before you go to the time and expense to do all that, check with some insurance companies to see how much insurance will cost and what they will require to insure you.

If you don't find one you like that is for sale, It is also fun and affordable to build. There is a lot of self satisfaction of flying something you built.

Good luck,
Matt
Matt McKee
Sgt USMC
SGT Raleigh Police Dept
FO GoJet Airlines
Retired Old Man
Sonex 1084
sonex1084

Postby GraemeSmith » Wed Jul 27, 2022 7:54 am

Actually it's the "Working on Instrument" that may make a Sonex not a fit. I doubt you will find many that are IFR and if you were thinking of making one IFR - it's not REALLY a plane for IFR. Quick pop up to get up and down through a layer - maybe. Hard core instrument - not nearly so much. Too light, short coupled and lacking in fundamental stability. An autopilot would be needed to help with workload.

But if you just want a cheap time builder for VFR - go for it.

Like Matt points out - insurance may be a big driver here - talk to some brokers sooner rather than later.
Graeme JW Smith
GraemeSmith

Postby 40_Year_Dream » Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:19 am

I wasn't thinking of the Sonex as an IFR platform; more like a pancake breakfast fly-in plane, or just boring holes in the sky on a nice evening - maybe do young eagles rides. At my age, 'time building' for some other rating doesn't matter. My plan is to stick with the flying club Mooney for real IFR , I think.

Through EAA, I got a quote of $5K insurance premium for $20K hull plus $1 million liability (after requisite instructed hours etc.), so that's a signficant chunk. $3K with no the hull coverage.

Comments appreciated. Will mull this over some more.
40_Year_Dream

Postby daleandee » Wed Jul 27, 2022 2:56 pm

40_Year_Dream wrote:Through EAA, I got a quote of $5K insurance premium for $20K hull plus $1 million liability (after requisite instructed hours etc.), so that's a signficant chunk. $3K with no the hull coverage.

I highly recommend calling AIR and asking for Victoria. I received excellent service, great coverage, and a really reasonable rate for my Corvair powered Sonex tailwheel aircraft.

https://air-pros.com/victorianeuville/
daleandee

Postby GordonTurner » Wed Jul 27, 2022 4:07 pm

I’m not sure, but $1M especially if it’s straight is a lot for a two seater…
Waiex 158 New York. N88YX registered.
3.0 Liter Corvair built, run, and installed.
Garmin panel, Shorai LiFePo batteries.
GordonTurner

Postby GraemeSmith » Wed Jul 27, 2022 4:47 pm

GordonTurner wrote:I’m not sure, but $1M especially if it’s straight is a lot for a two seater…

Beg to disagree. $1m liability is NOTHING these days. If you really screw something up - first insurance pays over $1m - then the party you hurt comes after you for the balance. Your home, savings and the like are all on the line at that point.
Graeme JW Smith
GraemeSmith

Postby GordonTurner » Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:03 pm

Makes sense. Haven’t insured a little plane for a couple of decades…
Waiex 158 New York. N88YX registered.
3.0 Liter Corvair built, run, and installed.
Garmin panel, Shorai LiFePo batteries.
GordonTurner

Postby builderflyer » Thu Jul 28, 2022 9:20 am

GraemeSmith wrote:Beg to disagree. $1m liability is NOTHING these days. If you really screw something up - first insurance pays over $1m - then the party you hurt comes after you for the balance. Your home, savings and the like are all on the line at that point.

Agreed. And then, if the airport you are based at requires you to name them as "additional insured" your $1m policy suddenly becomes only a $500,000 policy for you. But then, at the rates you were quoted, I'd seriously consider going "self insured".

Art,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Sonex taildragger #95,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Jabiru 3300 #261
builderflyer

Postby Arjay » Thu Jul 28, 2022 2:00 pm

You might look into putting the title into a personal property trust. That way only the assets of the trust would be at risk. Remember Chappaquidick? (Spelling?). The car that went into the water was owned by one. It was the only asset in the trust and was already toast. There was nothing left to collect. Think about it.

Ron
Arjay

Next

Return to Introductions