Hello from Winnipeg

Hello from Winnipeg

Postby Wood » Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:41 am

Hello everyone.
My name is Mark and I wanted to introduce myself as the new owner of Sonex built #0327. Exciting time indeed since this is my first purchase of and aircraft, so a big that’s to Christopher and Stephen for building this incredible little gem.
Last edited by Wood on Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lyncrest Airport - CJL5
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Sonex Legacy #0327
Jabiru 2200
Serial # 22A 1130
AeroConversions
Wood

Re: Hello from Winnipeg

Postby Bryan Cotton » Mon Aug 16, 2021 11:04 am

Welcome! Hope you can post some pictures and tell us your Sonex story.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby Wood » Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:19 am

Thanks for the welcome Bryan. Will do. Looking forward to it.
Lyncrest Airport - CJL5
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Sonex Legacy #0327
Jabiru 2200
Serial # 22A 1130
AeroConversions
Wood

Postby GraemeSmith » Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:41 am

Welcome Mark!

We just started a topic area for "second owners" - like you and me - whose questions might be a little different than "builder" questions. You can find it here:

viewforum.php?f=67

Though I would still encourage you to use all the topic areas as they contain valuable information.
Graeme JW Smith
GraemeSmith

Postby WDKINLEY » Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:32 pm

Hi there,

I'm from west of Winnipeg in Gladstone .... congrats on the new aircraft.

I'm finishing up some schooling this fall and plan on taking ground school in the new year.

Hopefully I can come view your Sonex someday!

Dwight
WDKINLEY

Postby Friesen5 » Tue Aug 17, 2021 2:00 pm

Welcome to the world of Sonex. I have a Sonex with the Jabiru 2200 which I completed in 2007. It is based at CJB3, Steinbach North. There is also a Sonex with an Aerovee based in Brandon. Where are you basing your Sonex?

Mervin Friesen
Friesen5

Postby Wood » Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:43 pm

Hi Guys. Thanks for the warm welcome. Well Bryan here’s my story.
Well interesting first solo flight today with my Sonex. After purchasing before I decided to take it up solo I decided to do some high speed taxi check with it to get a feel on what to expect. All went good on the taxi checks. With the winds 050@15 it’s decided to request the option on Rwy 04 for a right hand pattern. 10 degrees of flaps on the takeoff roll tail started to lift off the ground with little effort. Got airborne with ease and a delight to fly. Out of 400 AGL and the engine began to loose power. And the first thing that came to mind was OH NO? I immediately lowered the nose to pick up a little speed and pick my spot in the field ahead. Pulling the throttle right back and then powering up again the rpm started to increase to a max of 2450. called up tower and said I need a turn immediately back for the airport. My engine is failing. As I turned left back to towards the field the engine started to lose power again and another I was looking at another field that a couple of combines were working. Bringing the throttle back again and advancing it again the engine began to gain power giving me another option to continue the turn back for Rwy 18 with a 15 kit quartering tail wing. All the while working the throttle back and forth to bring the power back up as the engine continued to loose power. Direct for the threshold and my first solo landing to a 15 kt quartering tailwind. Landed successfully with little power and taxied back to the ramp. What the hell just happened not my first emergency but definitely and interesting one on the first flight. All in all I must say within that time the aircraft handled beautifully with the exception of the engine crapping out.

After parking the the Sonex it was head scratching time to find out what would have caused that when the other day with the previous owner and I flew it and it was developing tons of power. I’m open to suggestions from the pro here as This is my first airplane purchase and the first Sonex purchase.

Anyways that was my afternoon today.
Airplanes are fun.

Jabiru 2200 with the AeroConversions

Wood
Last edited by Wood on Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lyncrest Airport - CJL5
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Sonex Legacy #0327
Jabiru 2200
Serial # 22A 1130
AeroConversions
Wood

Postby Wood » Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:53 pm

Friesen5 wrote:Welcome to the world of Sonex. I have a Sonex with the Jabiru 2200 which I completed in 2007. It is based at CJB3, Steinbach North. There is also a Sonex with an Aerovee based in Brandon. Where are you basing your Sonex?

Mervin Friesen

Hi Mervin. I was trying to get a hold of you to pick your brain on the sonex the last couple of weeks but was unable. Nice to meet you. Hopefully we can chat sometime as my Daughter lives in Stienbach.

I have it in St Andrews now at Winnipeg Aviation but will be basing it out of Lyncrest in the next week or so once I figure what is happening.
Lyncrest Airport - CJL5
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Sonex Legacy #0327
Jabiru 2200
Serial # 22A 1130
AeroConversions
Wood

Postby Wood » Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:02 pm

WDKINLEY wrote:Hi there,

I'm from west of Winnipeg in Gladstone .... congrats on the new aircraft.

I'm finishing up some schooling this fall and plan on taking ground school in the new year.

Hopefully I can come view your Sonex someday!

Dwight

Hi Dwight
Nice to meet you. Of course just give me a call or PM me and we can make that happen.

Cheers
Wood
Lyncrest Airport - CJL5
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Sonex Legacy #0327
Jabiru 2200
Serial # 22A 1130
AeroConversions
Wood

Postby Wood » Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:04 pm

GraemeSmith wrote:Welcome Mark!

We just started a topic area for "second owners" - like you and me - whose questions might be a little different than "builder" questions. You can find it here:

viewforum.php?f=67

Though I would still encourage you to use all the topic areas as they contain valuable information.

Hi Graeme thanks very much. I’ll definitely post there as well..

Cheers
Wood
Lyncrest Airport - CJL5
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Sonex Legacy #0327
Jabiru 2200
Serial # 22A 1130
AeroConversions
Wood

Next

Return to Introductions