Grounded in southern Michigan

Grounded in southern Michigan

Postby Toryn » Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:27 pm

Hello friends, my name is Toryn. My girlfriend Carolina and I are the current owners of legacy Waiex #0025. (Completed 2009) We are both med students in our final year of training prior to getting our MD’s. A few months back, we decided to follow another mutual dream of becoming private pilots. VFR at first, then IFR down the line. We researched the costs of flight training with rentals vs purchasing an aircraft and we learned that as long as we got enough hours in, the savings were in our favor to go in half/half on a purchase.
After researching many options, including dated Cessnas and LSA trainers of all types, we decided on Sonex based on everything we’d learned about its stability and ease of flight not to mention being quick, agile and more fun later as our skills developed. We each logged some hours in a skycatcher here in Michigan before buying our Waiex, we’d spent a good 60+ hours each in MSFS2020 doing training modules in VR. We’re both approaching the end of our ground school training with Sportys. We are well aware that we’ll still need to develop some skills in another aircraft as well as the check ride down the line as there are instrumentation differences and I’m not sure I’ve ever heard of an examiner checking in an experimental.
After looking for quite some time, we decided on a Waiex from upstate NY. The build quality was excellent, and the aircraft was well maintained with detailed logs and low flight time. Since neither of us are licensed currently, we brought the plane back to Michigan via trailer and reattached the wings upon arrival. We also added ADSB (in and out). Our Insurance mandates that our CFI have Sonex experience and although our current CFI has logged nearly 8000 hours in many different types of aircraft including his own experimental, he has no Sonex hours. Based on his other experience, our insurance will cover him as pilot on our policy once he has 3 hours of dual time with an experienced Sonex pilot and 2 solo in it prior to flying with us in our Waiex. The only issue is finding someone with Sonex time. The only option we’ve had thus far has been one scheduling delay after another with a guy that has about as much people skills as a rusty nail, and we’re about to make our second monthly hangar and insurance payment on a plane that I’ve only been able to fly once with the previous owner upon pickup . Carolina, the other new co-owner hasn’t even gotten to ride in it yet. Besides a quick taxi over for fuel.
Does anyone happen to know of a good CFI in the Detroit/Oakland/Troy Michigan area with Sonex/Waiex experience? We would TRULY appreciate it.
Toryn

Re: Grounded in southern Michigan

Postby rick9mjn » Sat Jun 05, 2021 11:20 am

here may be... this will help.....see the link supercub.org / forum......
see the subject of .... "not in motion".....and ""Liability only""
also see the link form vansairforce.net
another idea is to ask around your local EAA chapter....
good luck / good day /rick.........................................

https://www.supercub.org/forum/showthre ... -Insurance

https://vansairforce.net/community/sear ... d=50036476
rick9mjn

Return to Introductions