Greetings from a new Waiex owner in Washington State

Greetings from a new Waiex owner in Washington State

Postby Jetrider » Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:31 am

Greetings all!
I am new to owning Waiex Serial #0125 (as of a week ago) and very excited to fly her, as well as join the community. I have just had the aircraft ferried up from Midland Texas, where Kelly (the previous owner) had taken good care of it. I am awaiting better weather and availability of a flight instructor so I may earn a tailwheel endorsement, and ferry it across from Eastern Washington to the Skagit Regional Airport, North of Seattle. I was wondering if there are any SONEX/WAIEX owners/Pilots in the Puget Sound Area willing to meet up (virtually is fine too) with a newbie to share experiences and advice. Any help is much appreciated. I cant wait to fly N125YX!
Faisal
Jetrider

Re: Greetings from a new Waiex owner in Washington State

Postby Chigbee » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:12 pm

I'm from the Puget Sound area and while I don't live there anymore, my grandfather still does and he's a CFI and loves doing tailwheel instruction. I'll PM you his contact info if you'd like. He lives on Whidbey Island.

Chris
Chris Higbee
Onex #119, Aerovee, Zenith, Prince 54/44
Tehachapi, CA
Chigbee

Postby N111YX » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:34 pm

Congratulations on your acquisition.

That airplane was built by Mike Stout in Fort Payne, Alabama. I gave Mike a ride in my Waiex many years ago to motivate him to keep plugging away.

Sadly, Mike died a couple of years ago from cancer and I helped his wife sell and ferry the airplane for Kelly.

Mike built a good airplane and I know that his wife is happy that others are keeping it flying.
Kip

2010 Waiex 0082 (first flight May 2010)
Jabiru 3300 #1637 and #3035
Dynon D-180
Becker radios
Garmin GDL 82 ADS-B
1050 hours
48 states visited
Based near Atlanta

Also flying a...
2000 Kolb Firestar II, Rotax 503, 575 hours
N111YX

Postby NWade » Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:16 am

Chigbee wrote:I'm from the Puget Sound area and while I don't live there anymore, my grandfather still does and he's a CFI and loves doing tailwheel instruction. I'll PM you his contact info if you'd like. He lives on Whidbey Island.

Chris

Chris - I’m in the Seattle area and prepping for my first flight around the end of the year. I got my TW endorsement awhile ago but haven’t flown power much since 2018 (I fly sailplanes a lot, but our tail wheels are fixed). If he’s comfortable giving instruction in the current situation, I’d appreciate his contact info, too.

Thanks,

—Noel
NWade

Postby Jetrider » Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:59 pm

Chigbee wrote:I'm from the Puget Sound area and while I don't live there anymore, my grandfather still does and he's a CFI and loves doing tailwheel instruction. I'll PM you his contact info if you'd like. He lives on Whidbey Island.

Chris

Thank you for reaching out to me Chris, I would love to connect with your grandfather. I used to live on Whidbey island until a few weeks ago and I am at nearby Skagit County airport. Thanks for your help!
Faisal
Jetrider

Postby Jetrider » Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:07 pm

N111YX wrote:Congratulations on your acquisition.

That airplane was built by Mike Stout in Fort Payne, Alabama. I gave Mike a ride in my Waiex many years ago to motivate him to keep plugging away.

Sadly, Mike died a couple of years ago from cancer and I helped his wife sell and ferry the airplane for Kelly.

Mike built a good airplane and I know that his wife is happy that others are keeping it flying.

Thank you for reaching out to me Kip. I totally agree with you and wish Mike's wife and family the very best. Although I have never flown N125YX (or even started her up), it looks like there was a lot of love and care that went into it. Kelly took good care of it and did do some engine work on it. Can you tell me any more about its history, Mike's reasons for choosing a WAIEX etc? Any info is much appreciated.
Thank you-
Faisal
Jetrider

Postby N111YX » Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:27 am

I don't have any more information Faisal. I looked Mike up on the Sonex website many years ago when we were both building. I finished first and flew over to Alabama to give him a ride. We kept in touch off and on but I never saw him in person again.

He moved to the Gulf Shores area to retire and he flew it around down there for a few years. That's where I picked it up to arrange final delivery from Fort Payne, AL to Texas for Kelly.
Kip

2010 Waiex 0082 (first flight May 2010)
Jabiru 3300 #1637 and #3035
Dynon D-180
Becker radios
Garmin GDL 82 ADS-B
1050 hours
48 states visited
Based near Atlanta

Also flying a...
2000 Kolb Firestar II, Rotax 503, 575 hours
N111YX

Postby Jetrider » Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:33 pm

Kip,
If you come up this way, please look me up. Would love to fly with you :-)
Jetrider

Return to Introductions