New Waiex owner in Lodi, California N33YX - Serial #0033

New Waiex owner in Lodi, California N33YX - Serial #0033

Postby pragmaticengineer » Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:35 am

Howdy folks,

About a month ago I acquired N33YX from an estate sale that was completed in 2006. It had been sitting around for a few years but a caretaker A&P had it in a hangar the whole time (also previously owned by the estate) and fired it up every once in a while so it seems pretty solid to me. It also had regular annual inspections even though it was unused. It is a taildragger Waiex and I have no taildragger or sonex or waiex flying experience.

I was wondering if there is anyone in Northern California that might be able to offer some transition training? Perhaps a CFI with sonex experience?
Michael Paul
Lodi, California
Sonex Waiex Taildragger N33YX
Currently based @ Kern Valley Airport
pragmaticengineer

Re: New Waiex owner in Lodi, California N33YX - Serial #0033

Postby Sonex1517 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:07 am

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Unfortunately you have come across one of the biggest challenges we face as a community. Transition training.

Right now, there is none.

We don’t know of any CFIs or owners with a LODA. This leaves you with some choices.

You could find a Sonex or Waiex owner willing to get you some time in type, you could try to find a CFI with time in type as you have asked about and do this in your aircraft (although this may be an insurance Catch-22), or you can try to find a CFI offering training in a similar type, such as an RV.

With no taildragger time, that’s the first hurdle to tackle. Get some time in one and get that sign off.

Our Sonex Builders and Pilots Foundation offers some resources that may help you:

http://www.sonexfoundation.com/Transition_Training.html

http://www.sonexfoundation.com/uploads/ ... _Final.pdf

We’d appreciate it if you considered joining us as a voting member for $25.

http://www.sonexfoundation.com/Become_a_Member.php
Robbie Culver
Sonex 1517
Aero Estates (T25)
First flight 10/10/2015
325+ hours
Jabiru 3300 Gen 4
Prince P Tip
Taildragger
N1517S
Sonex1517

Postby scotttro » Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:00 pm

Hey Michael! My name's Scott, and I'm also in Lodi! I've been building a Waiex (#0076) for several years. Can't help you with finding dual time - the only Sonex owner I knew, based at 1o3, moved to Colorado or Wyoming a couple of years ago.

Have you tried looking at the Sonex builder's site? There are a number of in-progress project listed for this general area, and I would imagine some of those folks may have completed their planes (some are terribly out-of-date), or know somebody who has. Keep in mind, Sonex's and Waiex's are rumored to behave virtually identically in flight, so you needn't limit yourself to the y-tails only.

If you ever want to get together, or take a tour of one "in progress", p.m. me! I'd *love* to get a close-up look at a finished one!
scotttro

Postby bcoolams » Sun May 30, 2021 5:43 am

I'm a Waix builder located in Modesto Ca. I'm working on the craft and I'm not rated as a CFI. I belong to EAA Chapter 90 located at the Oakdale Ca. Arpt. We meet at 09:00 on the 3rd Sat of each month at our Hanger. We have one completed Sonex (Now sold due to Medical problems) and two being built. The pilot with the med could give you some tips on flying the Sonex. He did attend the Sonex training school in Wisconsin. You and friends are welcome to attend. Go to our EAA Chater 90 web site for further info.

Bill McCool
Waix #64
Modesto CA 95354
Phone 209-577-0174
bcoolams

Postby Gripdana » Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:21 am

I am a CFI and a Sonex builder/owner. You can give me a call 818-489-8954. Please text me first so I can get to a place I can answer. I can give you some advice I am located at KWJF in Lancaster California.
Dana Baker
Scratch Built
First Flight March 8, 2015
Sonex #1534 - N1534S "Aluminum Foil"
Aerovee-Dual Controls-Tail Dragger
Gripdana

Return to Introductions